Coffee growns

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dollie 1, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Dollie 1

Dollie 1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Can you give chickens coffee growns

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I'm assuming you means grounds.

I suppose you could, but I don't know why you'd want to. The grounds would be better off in your garden or compost pile.
    You'll probably end up with chickens that stay up all night, or birds that'll want coffee and cigarettes for breakfast.[​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    NO.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WHY?? [​IMG]

Maybe steer us to a good thread on coffee grounds in (lazy)gardening applications?

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Spent coffee grounds do not contain much of anything, especially caffeine.

The brewing process extracts most anything harmful.

Excellent composting material, considered a "green". They are a good source of potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and contain around 3% nitrogen. They are especially appreciated by worms and acid loving plants.

Fresh coffee grounds...well that's a different story, then NO, as caffeine is not on the recommended list for chickens...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  6. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California
    I wouldn't feed it to them! That said, I pick up kitchen waste from a veggie cafe and sometimes the kitchen scraps are mixed with coffee grounds. I also get grounds myself and sprinkle around yard and garden. Chickens basically know what they can and can't eat. Mine have free range all over the backyard and the compost pile (which also has avocados and avocado skin), but they leave the inedibles alone. I've seen them pick maggots off an avocado with precision....nature has designed heir beaks well for the task....and they don't eat the avocado in the process.

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, good question still not answered.

No one has given even a reasonable assumption as to why not feed spent coffee grounds...

8. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    There has been at least one study done on spent coffee grounds as livestock feed. I believe that it was determined that SCGs were suitable as a feed supplement for ruminants only. Increases in milk production in dairy cows was observed. I don't have a link. I'm sure that if someone googled "spent coffee grounds as livestock feed" they'd probably find something. I have all sorts of these kinds of "pseudo facts" rolling round in my head. You know, the kind you're pretty darn sure of but have no recollection of how you got them and nothing to substantiate them.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ok, I'd never feed coffee grounds to my chickens. Dump them in the garden, yes, compost, yes, even in the deep litter in the run. I grab cans full of them and bring them home with me when ever I get the opportunity. Would I get upset if my chickens ate them? Not at all. Surprised, maybe. I can't fathom for the life of me that they'd be part of a wholesome chicken diet. But... love to see the research if any one finds it.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by