The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
In Loving Memory Of:
"Tink" the New Hampshire Red hen with a truly wonderful personality- a friend I'll never forget.
The new tink.jpg

Dear friends,

I've been wanting to make a discussion thread for folks whom don't get the chance to talk often- but would like to learn more about each other. You can talk here, share, and within abiding BYC rules, have as much fun as you wish.

Not long ago, I lost a great hen of mine. Tink. When she was still an egg, her mother abandoned her. This was very disappointing... and until we heard chirping and saw a pip... we didn't know if it was too late.
I put the egg in a shoe box in my bedroom, with a heat lamp set up above it and a soft towel beneath its cool shell. I waited all night until finally, when, a yellow chick burst out into the new world before her.

tink.JPG

This was Tink. She later grew up to be a very strong, sweet hen. She followed me around whether it was outside or in the house. Soon having began laying eggs (which she was wonderful at), it was time for her to join the flock.

One problem. Nobody accepted her. Except for Henny, our last standing male Guinea.

Within time, Tink had stopped laying eggs... she grew sick within three years. She still fought through, having not laid eggs, but there as my friend. When we ordered 18 eggs from Meyers Hatchery, Tink being one, the rest died off. I think her heritage wasn't too healthy... making her pass away well before she should've.

Henny was saddened for the time being. Tink was his best friend. His girlfriend. But now he has friended Bindi, a pullet whom hatched and wasn't approved by her mother.

Me & Bindi.jpg
So, I hereby dedicate this thread to Tink, hoping it will be a trail leading to the same friendship I had with her. I'd love to hear your stories, I'd love to talk at random. I hope you guys enjoy Coffee With Tink!

tinkandi.JPG

Well,,,,, good news to report:)
Just a few hours ago, my neighbor knocks on my door, and says,,,, A Christmas Gift for you. I thanked him,,, and took box home. Box was kind of light,, so I was thinking,, some kind of tree decor:idunno
This is what was inside,,,,,,,,,,,,
IMG_20191215_215910448.jpg

So I quickly set up a dog cage, and placed her inside. Placed feed and water also. I also fashioned a roost stick. She is a Japanese Bantam. I had one, of that breed quite some time ago. She is soooooo sweet:love.
Will keep inside house for a few days, and then will start to introduce to my flock of chickens inside their winter housing. Have all of that process figured out.:thumbsup

Most here know that I do have a (clean) sense of humor,,,, so these are my plans.
I will be at Sam's Club tomorrow, and I will buy one of these.
serveimage

Slip it into same box he brought the Bantie over,,, and walk over to his house and say,,,,, WIFE WONT LET ME KEEP ANY MORE CHICKENS THAN WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE. ,,,:gig:lau

He will be taken only until he feels the weight of the box..

I just think,,,, ONE GOOD TURN DESERVES A RETURN GOOD TURN:thumbsup

I'm not very familiar with New Hampshire Reds, only that they are somewhat related to RIR. Is it possible that Tink was actually a Red Sex Link???
That would explain the short life span. Those chickens do go by several different names. Isa Brown is one I recall offhand. Did get this one from someone a few years ago. She expired about a year or so later. These chickens are breed to produce many eggs, and then burn out.:(
This was Rosie:)
Photo0608.jpg

The New Hampshire is derived from Rhode Islands- and they were bred for fast growth. I think the breed's heritage for meat production takes a toll on the later lineage. It's sad to see.
Anything is possible! She very much did resemble the Sex-Link. I've never had the breed, but that's too bad! I'm sorry for your loss! Rosie was a beautiful hen. :love

How are thing's going for you today? Out here in the desert it's finally starting to cool down a bit after the rain. Our monsoon season is supposed to end on Monday. I can spend more time outdoor's with my flock now. I have a new Naked Neck cockerel in with my hen's now, so I'm waiting for fertility to start showing up. I see him doing his job. I'm one of those hatch-a-holic's. :gig

Well,,,,, good news to report:)
Just a few hours ago, my neighbor knocks on my door, and says,,,, A Christmas Gift for you. I thanked him,,, and took box home. Box was kind of light,, so I was thinking,, some kind of tree decor:idunno
This is what was inside,,,,,,,,,,,,
View attachment 1982300
So I quickly set up a dog cage, and placed her inside. Placed feed and water also. I also fashioned a roost stick. She is a Japanese Bantam. I had one, of that breed quite some time ago. She is soooooo sweet:love.
Will keep inside house for a few days, and then will start to introduce to my flock of chickens inside their winter housing. Have all of that process figured out.:thumbsup

Most here know that I do have a (clean) sense of humor,,,, so these are my plans.
I will be at Sam's Club tomorrow, and I will buy one of these.
serveimage

Slip it into same box he brought the Bantie over,,, and walk over to his house and say,,,,, WIFE WONT LET ME KEEP ANY MORE CHICKENS THAN WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE. ,,,:gig:lau

He will be taken only until he feels the weight of the box..

I just think,,,, ONE GOOD TURN DESERVES A RETURN GOOD TURN:thumbsup

Perfect "thank you" gift Cavey :gig

What a pretty girl he gave you!

Back
Top Bottom