coffee

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NGILBERT88, Dec 12, 2010.

1. NGILBERT88

NGILBERT88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    I keep a chicken scrap bowl in the kitchen and put all our scrap veggies and egg shells in it and feed it to our chickens every few days. I was wondering if they can eat coffee grinds. I haven't fed them any yet. I didn't know if I should or not. I heard someone say they use to feed there chickens coffee. it seems like it would be a decent grit but I don't know if I want my rooster up all night crowing. Lol. Any advice on coffee?

2. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    It is like back gold for the garden. If you put it directly in your planters it works like slow release fertilizer. As far as feeding it to your chickens, I dunno. I suppose a little couldn't hurt. I've done it once and there was no evidence of my doing so a couple hours later, so I assume they ate it and none of them died.

3. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I have two ice cream buckets, one is for coffee grounds, bananna peels, moldy stuff for the compost pile, the other is for chicken treats. Beer is good for plants too, but my chickens don't like it. Imagine the fun if they did?

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I don't think they will actually eat the coffee grinds, given the option. But we usually just put the coffee grounds in with the rest of the scraps and don't bother sorting. In my experience chickens are pretty good about sorting out what to eat and what not to, if they have the freedom to choose. I like to let them do the work, because it's fun for them. We just figure that what they don't eat comes out with the litter a few months later and goes onto the the compost pile anyway. Never had it keep them up all night that I can remember... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by