Cohabitating Red Star Hens with a Muscovy Hen - HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cohennes, Jan 24, 2012.

1. cohennes

cohennes New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Ok... I started out with 2 rather docile Red Star (chicken) hens about a year ago. They reside in a 6' x 4' x 3.5' coop, and have a "free-range" (fenced in area) of about 300 sq. ft during the day, and I have never had any issues with pecking.

As of about 3 months ago, we introduced a rescue Muscovy duck who was seemingly stranded on the side of a busy commercial street for about 2 weeks. Upon wrangling her (actually, she is very docile and personable), we thought we'd be doing the right thing by keeping her warm and fed in the coop/run with the chickens until we could find her a new home (or get another muscovy and build a duck house).

Now, it's only happened a few times, but our Muscovy has periodically experienced a bloody caruncle (the flesh around her beak). Although, I've never seen the hens peck at her, I'm concerned that they might be (the caruncle is naturally blood-red). Has anyone ever tried cohabitating Muscovies and Chickens before? Can someone offer me advice?

Thanks so much.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi and [​IMG] first off are you sure the muscovy is female? Drakes can and will try to mate with chickens and can kill them when doing so, could it be your duck is trying to be obnoxious to the hens and they are fighting back, Just one thought of course, I have Muscovies and chickens and they all live together outside when in their house they are separated, mainly because my roos and drakes would not tolerate each other in closed quaters. I hope you can figure it out because muscovies are wonderful ducks and make great pets. You might just have to spend some time out doors watching to see if you can spot the reason for this. Good luck.

Maybe a picture of your duck would help

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. cohennes

cohennes New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, I am pretty certain that she is female, as we've recently discovered some very "un-chicken-like" eggs in the coop! I was actually pretty amazed at how different her eggs were - even different from other duck eggs I've seen before.

I also agree with you about Muscovies - Oksana (the muscovy hen) is great! She is by far the most curious, chatty and generally endearing bird I've ever had. I absolutely adore her, and as such, I'd like to accommodate her as best as I can.

Here she is (in the parking lot where we found her):

[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She is beautiful, I wonder if your hens are just being bratty towards her for some unknown reason.. My hens can be bratty to each other but they don't mess with my muscovies. well my roo likes to chase them but the hens don't mess with them.. Are you thinking of keeping her or are you going to try to find her a home? The reason i am asking is if you decide to get a drake for her you will want to have her and the drake in separate runs because a drake will try to mate with your hens and could possibly kill them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by