1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cohabitating roosters!?!?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by norcalchickengirl, May 26, 2008.

1. norcalchickengirl

norcalchickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Out of thirteen baby chickies, I ended up with four roosters. They are almost three months old now, and are getting along quite well. Has anybody ever heard of roosters living together, or is this a pipe dream? --I've managed to get pretty attached to the little guys. Help!

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Sometimes, when raised together, they will get along.
    Sometimes, when raised together, they will tear eachother apart.
    It's up to you.
    You can wait and see what happens, rehome them, or be prepared to process them.
    I have 9 cockerels that I really like, but only need one to be our rooster.
    The rest will be dinners.

3. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I've had 3 roos live together and get along very well.

4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    9 hens to 4 roos? Anything is possible, but it's not likely that they will get along once they're grown. They'll probably go after each other and stress the poor hens to exhaustion. Once the hormones kick in, roosters are roosters. My advice is to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

5. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    I have had roos that were raised together live with each other with a few minor pecking order issues until they reached about 3 years of age. All of a sudden one just went crazy. Attacked not only the other roos but me and my children and started attacking the hens as well. Ummmmm he sure did make good stew. It is amazing how quick you can change how you feel about a rooster. At that time I had about 40 hens and the chickens free ranged a lot.
    If you have lots of room, plenty of hens the roosters will probably be ok but...... keep your eyes open. If you do not have plenty of hens and lots of room you might want to consider doing something now.
    I currently have 3 young roosters (4 months old). I watch them closely already. I can see a problem already with my EE rooster. Very aggressive. We are in the process of preparing seperate quarters for the EE hens and rooster. Will probably make stew out of one of the RIR roosters and keep the other.

Edited to add: I just looked at your post again. You have way to few hens for this to work. You need at least 5 hens per rooster. And that is the absolute minimum. Even if the roosters do not fight each other your hens will suffer. You can wait and see but I suggest that at least one rooster needs to go and still keep your eyes open.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    It can work out but if they will be with the hens you need to make sure there are enough hens to go around (10-15 per Roo). If they will be kept seperate then it doesnt matter what your hen number is.

I have had 3 Roos at one time, lost one and one became dinner after it turned mean now we are down to one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by