cohabitation - chickens and goats?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by norace, Apr 6, 2009.

1. norace

norace New Egg

Oct 3, 2008
    I have 10 chickens and am thinking of adding 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats to my backyard menagerie. I've heard some conflicting things about cohabitation. Obviously the goats would have to be kept out of the chickens' grain and vice versa, but that shouldn't be difficult. What I'm wondering about is them sharing a run. It would enable both of them to have more space and someone told me that goats actually like to eat chicken poop. Someone else told me that it can lead to unsanitary conditions for both animals though. I'm wondering if cohabitation is a good idea and if so, what it will mean for keeping things clean (mucking out schedule, etc.) and what sort of ground cover (straw, wood chips, sand, grass, etc.) would be best for the shared space. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!!

2. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    i have 3 nigerian dwarf goats and a flock of chickens and ducks and they live together nicely the chickens do get into the goats part of the house to lay eggs in the hay and the goats do love the chicken grain so i have to be carfull about that the only problem i have found is that if the goats get spooked they have no quarms about jumping on a chicken to get to where they want to go

3. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I also used to have 2 Nigerian dwarf goats and they lived in the same barn, stall and pen with my chickens and waterfowl. Never had a problem. I worried that the chickens would poop in the goats' hay rack but it didn't happen. Though some of my bantam hens occasionally laid their eggs in it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I had chickens and goats together at one time. The goats will eat hay or straw bedding. They will eat all chicken food. They will step on the chickens.
    I had to use pine bedding, keep the food in a seperate area (coop was divided), and pray like mad that the chickens got out of the way in time to not get injured.
    The goats would butt the chickens too if they so desired.
    I rehomed the goats....

5. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I have pygmies, chickens and ducks in the same pen. The goats do stick their heads in the coop to get at the chicken feed, but they can't eat all of it. My goats have never stepped on the chickens; but they do have a rather large area to roam in so maybe that is why.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    We Had milk goat once who would jump over into the brood pen and lay down with the little chicks, they would climb all over her. She still let them do it after they were grown. And she would move real careful like to not disturb them.

7. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    ive also had goats & chickens together. we had almost 35 chickens & three goats together in a large fenced area. never had a problem. every once & a while, youd actually catch some of the smaller hens going for rides on the goats back !! they used to play with the chickens trying to head butt them , but never did any harm. i think it also depends on the tempermant of the goats. im actually adding a goat kid to my farm this weeked ! good luck !

8. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I raised my first 2 chickens with 2 pygmy goats. It was great. They shared the same yard. I did have to feed a little different. I am going to be add more chickens in the next year and the will be living down in the new goat yard. I will just have to fix a goat proof feeder........... [​IMG]

9. Kaylar

Kaylar New Egg

Jun 9, 2016
    Kansas City,KS
    I was given a chicken a couple weeks ago. This was totally unplanned. So now I have just one chicken shes about 3years old and has only laid one egg since Ive had her but thats ok.. Shes eating all the bugs in my garage (read that as its infested with brown recluse spiders and who knows what other bugs) and in the area where we are planning on putting 2 goats. We've been planning the goats for a few months now and finally getting a shelter up. So since I now have an unplanned chicken I plan to house her in the goat shelter as well. Its an 4'x8' shed that we are converting to a shelter. Im gonna add a doggie door to the side so I can keep the big doors closed most of the time. (If its really hot I can open one or both). I plan on putting the chickens food and water up like with her roosts. And make sure that I use small enough roosts that the goats cant climb up.. So can I get her to use a doggie dog? I know the goats will as the lady Im getting them from has found them in her garage and they have gone through her doggie door. And the other question is will have to lock everyone (2 goats and 1 chicken) in the coop at night? Or will the one chicken be safe with the goats around?

I guess my question is more will the coons and possums go into the shelter if the goats are out in the fenced area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by