1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cohin newbie chick color question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by okdfarms, Nov 3, 2010.

1. okdfarms

okdfarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    hi, i bought some eggs off of ebay last month. standard cochins: blue roo over buff hens. what color chicks would i get from this cross? i have some very 'interesting' looking chicks and can't find any pics on the internet that look like them. i am not sure how to post pics from my iphone here.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    It will look like what some people who have that cross are calling Lemon Blue But be warned it is NOT true lemon blue. They will have a blue or black color mixed with buff. Some of them look half and half, like a buff head, neck and front body and a blue or black back half.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Blue x Buff is someone's way of trying to create Lemon Blue, but that crossing does not work. You're going to get orange and black chickens as well as a slight chance of buff/orange colored chickens with hints of blue.

4. okdfarms

Oct 4, 2010
    well thanks for your help. i do have one that looks like it would be a lemon blue. but i have 3 basically yellow chics with dark brown stripes down their backs. their wing feathers look to be barred, yellow and brown.
    i have one dark (not black) chick with a copper colored face and his wings appear to be coming in copper as well. there are two dark - not black with muddy colored bellies. the most curious of all is one that looks to be a birchen (?). very black except bright white cheeks, belly and butt and white primary flight feathers. are all these colors possible from blue X buff?

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do you have pics ? True Lemon Blue is Brown Red (Black Copper) diluted by blue so a true LB has to have that specific pattern. But what you are discribing could be typical colors from the Blue X Buff cross, There can be a lot of varitation in them.

6. okdfarms

Oct 4, 2010
    hi clint, i am going to work on getting some pics together. i would really appreciate your help. i don't have any intentions of showing these birds. i just wanted to hatch out a few easy going birds to give me a few eggs and hopefully brood over some guineas for me next year. i will try to post some pics in a day or so .. again, thanks a bunch. mary.

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No problem, either way those mixed colored blue and buff ones make some beautiful birds, I just dont like seeing when people get mixed up with what to call them becuase someone, somewhere had the bright idea to falsely name the color, when the true color aready exists. Looking forward to the pics and good luck with them !!!!1

8. okdfarms

Oct 4, 2010
    clint, here are the pics of my chicks from std cochin, blue roo x buf hen:
    first 2 pics are my 'lemon blue'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    next pic is my yellow stripers. this is the darkest of the 3. the other two are just about same only faded versions.
    [​IMG]
    next, my 'birchen'
    [​IMG]
    next, i have two that are similar to birchen, only white is very dingy grey
    [​IMG]
    next two pics are of my copper faced guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

would appreciate your thoughts on these. thanks. mary

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hmmm so you say you bought them as eggs off of ebay ? It may just be the pics but to me at least some of them dont appear to have single combs like cochins, they look a bit flatter like a pea comb and I wouldnt expect that patterning in those first ones, those are patterned like Easter Eggers, who also have pea combs, and from what I can tell by the angle of the pics, they kinda look like they have small beards, which is yet another trait in EEs. The gold faced one closer to the botton is colored more like what I would expect from a Buff X Black but I have seen that color in EEs befor too.

But from what I am seeing, I am thinking you may have been skunked and they sold you eggs that were EE X Cochin ?? But can you get a couple more pics of a close up on the cheeks of a couple of them from the side, and a close up of the comes ? Or if you know what you look for for pea combs and beards then you can probably just check yourself without bothering with pics, but thats what I am afraid happened. If so I'm sorry but they should still be neat looking birds though.

10. okdfarms

Oct 4, 2010
    well clint, you are good at this business. [​IMG]. i didn't want to put words in anybody's post. i did get a note back yesterday from the guy i bought the eggs from. in one sentence he 'thinks' that his ameracauna roo 'might' have gotten in with his cochin hens. in the next sentence he mentions that he is trying to breed for a cochin that drops blue eggs. boy am i bummed. what i was hoping for was a large hardy bird, docile in nature that would brood some guinea eggs for me next year. yes they do look like they could be neat looking but i am concerned about the ameracauna's temperament. these chicks are a bit hyper. well, i quess i might have to take a trip to the farmer's auction and see if i can sell these and start over. hmph. but hey, thanks so much for taking the time to confirm my suspicisions. mary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by