Col. Mustard in the Coop with a knife. Any Clues??? **Pics**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Fuzzy_Hat_Farm, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Fuzzy_Hat_Farm

Fuzzy_Hat_Farm Chirping

Jun 4, 2009
    Maryland
    This is just a mystery.....We just lost our first little pullet. We had 27 8-week old chickens locked up in the coop the run isn't finished yet because of the rain. Sunday morning I went out and took care of the food and water and everyone was happy, healthy and eating the lettuce I'd brought out for a treat. I went back in the house as it was another rainy day and started cleaning. I went back out Sunday afternoon and when I opened the door to the coop I found one of the hens laid out on her back about a foot inside the door, completely eviscerated. There was no damage to her head, feet, legs, back or wings that I could tell. Will chickens do this to each other? I thought they picked at the head, tail, feet....but she had no damage prior to this that I could see. I actually even took a picture of her just that morning when I went out to feed them.

[​IMG]

We had to do a quick burial as the one we lost was SO's son's favorite hen, [​IMG] Ralph (yes, he named her Ralph.)

There is one window covered tightly with ratwire...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Two vents with ratwire underneath...

[​IMG]

And one heavy latched door....

[​IMG]

We even have a camera in the coop that covers the center area of the coop and has sound so (we thought) we'd hear the commotion if something broke in.

We just cannot figure out what happened.

2. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    Oh, that sounds very odd, and a disturbing find. Sorry to hear it! I hope it wasn't a chicken lynch mob...

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    When my chickens were like 5 weeks old I went out to feed one morning and found a chick like what you found. It was very disturbing the way it was layed out and eaten by the others. Same as yours when I looked it over there were no other apparent injurys other than the very obvious one. It mystefied me too. I guess chickens taste so good that sometimes they cant resist!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: