cold abandoned eggs trying to hatch!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BethanyS, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Good grief I'm kinda in a pickle our broody hen(first time mom.we found her sitting after vacation so just left her after candeling eggs and seeing veins ) ended up with extra eggs under her here and there and after 2 hatched We had to remove the chicks so she would sit on the others.I had been away and had no idea how old each egg was.....Well I noticed her in the yard more and more and several cold nights past.After almost week I finally brought the eggs in(to toss out assuming they had died).She hadn't even been sitting on them at night I had put my hand on them many times and they were cold.so they were in a bucket by the door for 24hours and I heard a weak peep!The baby only peeped a few times even after putting a wet cloth around the egg and putting it under a brooder light it was almost lifeless.I've helped the little peepers out sence I was pretty sure she couldn't on her own.....she is so week.Now I have it with the eggs in the brooder with a few pans of water.wondering what to do now?!?! We have never hatched chicks no incubator...advice??

2. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Can I give the chick organic sugar water?!Little thing can't hold its wee head up: (

3. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    What you can do is give it electrolytes but if you don't have a local TSC than I would give it brown sugar water, but if you only have white sugar it will work

4. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Nothing is open past 5
    Around here lol I'm blown away this chick is a trooper If it makes it will be given the good life(like the others aren't already) I think 3 or 4 may be alive in the egg.When I put them under the light they warmed up faster than others. ....

5. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Took a few drops of sugar water and gave me a few peeps.pretty much sprawled out bearly has her eyes open.There is a teeny crack in another now!!!WOW...so worried

6. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Sorry nobody has posted to help, don't know what else to do other then what you are doing..

Sometimes they are just to weak, your doing what I would do in this situation..
    Good Luck!! [​IMG]

7. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I hatched chicks under a heat lamp.. It can be done.. Keep your temps around 100 and raise humidity by placing the whole operation in the bathroom, close the windows and get the hot shower to steam up the room, if you keep the door shut the humidity will stay up for a couple hours (or it did in our house)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Aww they are cute!the first two she hatched were health and chipper.I feel awful these eggs went through a week of temp fluxes followed by the a.c in the house!Thanks for the support

9. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

your doing what you can, hang in there!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by