cold abandoned eggs trying to hatch!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BethanyS, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Good grief I'm kinda in a pickle our broody hen(first time mom.we found her sitting after vacation so just left her after candeling eggs and seeing veins ) ended up with extra eggs under her here and there and after 2 hatched We had to remove the chicks so she would sit on the others.I had been away and had no idea how old each egg was.....Well I noticed her in the yard more and more and several cold nights past.After almost week I finally brought the eggs in(to toss out assuming they had died).She hadn't even been sitting on them at night I had put my hand on them many times and they were cold.so they were in a bucket by the door for 24hours and I heard a weak peep!The baby only peeped a few times even after putting a wet cloth around the egg and putting it under a brooder light it was almost lifeless.I've helped the little peepers out sence I was pretty sure she couldn't on her own.....she is so week.Now I have it with the eggs in the brooder with a few pans of water.wondering what to do now?!?! We have never hatched chicks no incubator...advice??

2. rarebirds

rarebirds New Egg

Apr 11, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I found the same thing with my guineas. The hen must have gotten scared off her nest or left it to go forage with the ones that hatched. I was going to throw away the eggs, but brought them into the house overnight. One egg had opened all around, and that one hatched. I decided to candle the rest before discarding them and heard a second one give a peep. I'm trying to hatch it now. I don't know the temperature to keep it on. If you know, please reply.

3. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Around 99degrees for chickens anything over103 or under 97 is harmful.humidity is needed or they can dry stuck in the egg

1 person likes this.
  4. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I'm assuming the babies are already struggling I've given the first a few drops of brown sugar water but it still can't lift its little head

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by