cold and new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wing it, Sep 15, 2009.

1. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Hi I have 12 days old coming on oct 15. I live on Long Island NY. It can get cold here. Wondering if I will be able to put them in the coop after they have featherd out. Is there a way I should harded them off?

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Just started with chickens myself this spring....Here is what I have read/heard in several places: Chicks need it warm and draft free...First week temp in brooder should be 95, second week 90 and then 5 degrees lower every week until they are 6 weeks old or temp 70. Then (if they are fully feathered, not fluff but feathers) they should be OK to go in the coop. Now I would think it will be fairly cold in Dec so I would either keep them in a basement or some area of the house where its not very cold or keep a lamp in the coop to keep the temp decent for another 2-3 weeks... I had mine out in the spring at 6-7 week old but nights still dropped to 40 days 50's and low 60's. I let them out in a roofed and sheltered run during the day and had a lamp in their small coop (not insulated, wooden coop but dry and no drafts) at night for a couple of weeks until they were a bit bigger and nights got a little warmer. They did fine but it was spring....Maybe you can find info in the FAQ section.

3. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Ditto, I agree with the first poster. I am over here in Staten island and they do need protection at the age your getting them. I did the garage/basement thing untill I was sure they could survive outside on their own in an unheated coop. Good luck and you can write me anytime for questions.:<)

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Yep- keep them warm! I bought a small reptile thermometer at the pet store- and layed it in the brooder to keep easy tabs on the temp. I positioned my warming light on a coat rack, so I could slide the light up as the weeks went by.

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Garage is good imho cos they still get the cooler temps etc to help them feather out better!!

Seems all mine did really well that were raised in the garage [​IMG]

6. wing it

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    thanks for the info. btw coop is 8x10 and well insulated I plan on keeping the brooder in the house then....... mayb heat the coop?

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Quote:Sounds good...you may be OK with a heat lamp in one area and they can hang out there if needed until they look nicely feathered ...just a thought....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...I'm new, but this is my plan. I too have an insulated coop, but mine is only 6 x 8. I'm going to put my entire brooder in the coop when they're 2-3 weeks old, with their lamp, and then gradually ease them into just the coop (still with lamp). Once feathered, will be turning cold here, so may still continue to use lamp through winter....will wait and see how they do... good luck! [​IMG]

9. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    What kind of chicks do you have? Some do better in cold weather than others.

10. wing it

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Quote:wellsummers and Barnevelder, i wil keep them inside till there feathered out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by