Cold Babies/ Update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nccountrygirl, Apr 16, 2008.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    We let our 7,8, and 9 week olds out today to enjoy the warm sunshine, then we left to go work 2nd shift. I thought since they had come out of the coop that when it got dark they would go back in, WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! We got home from work at 11:00 and they were huddled at the end of the run and not the end with the straw. We had left the feed in the coop thinking they would go back in and eat when they got hungry WRONG!!!!!!! they were about to starve to death. OK, should we let them out again tomorrow with the feeder out in the run or keep them shut up till the weekend. It is going to be close to 80 tomorrow and Friday with temps at night in the 50's. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Please

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would think they would be okay in the 50's (provided they have all their feathers) maybe put a box or something in there they can go into since they have not gotten the hang of going home into the coop.

Make sure they have food and water out there with there for sure as well as shade. Sometimes you have to sort of herd them into the coop at night for several nights before they get the idea to do it on their own.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    if you want them to learn to go into the coop on their own, why have incentives for them to stay outside?[​IMG]

4. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    They went 12 hrs. with out food today, if that is not incentive to go in nothing is, and they still did not go in.

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    You might have to "walk" a few of them up the ramp into the coop until they get the hang of it. Chickens are smart in some ways, in others... not so much! [​IMG]

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

You have to hold their hands, lol. [​IMG] Seriously, it takes maybe 3-4 days of putting them back in the coop at dusk before they start doing it on their own. But once one does it, generally they all do, eventually.

7. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    We are trying it again today. This time they have plenty of feed and water out. It is suppose to be up near 80 today and tomorrow with night time temps in the 50's, I can't leave them cooped up all day knowing it will be so pretty out. I hope tonights the night, Hey I sound like a Rod Stewart song. [​IMG]

8. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Neat timeline! Thanks for that!

10. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    That is a great site! Thanks so much for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by