Cold brooder hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm hoping to get some chicks for a brooding GLW I have. I have a question about the possiblities. She has made a nest and put some eggs in it although I don't know how many. I can't see inside it. She still goes in the coop at night and that is my concern. With the colder nights we're starting to have, just how cold and how long with her off the nest will it take for the eggs to be none productive? If they did hatch, the cold and the chicks I'm not worried about. I'll leave that up to mama. Just don't know how much cold the eggs can take and still be usable.

I hope this is in the right place.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    If she is broody then she won't leave the nest at night. Only to go to the bathrrom and eat something!!

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Well then when a hen starts setting does she start laying eggs in the nest at that time or does she lay the eggs before? How the eggs get there before she starts setting?

4. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    The hen lays a clutch of about 6-12 eggs in her nest and then may go broody. She may be preparing to sit but dot count on it, they're very inpredictable when it comes to setting on eggs [​IMG] she lays the eggs before she sets on them so that when she does sit on them, they are all at the same stage of development, and thus all hatch at the same(ish) time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by