Cold Broody and Eggs???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieChicken4, Feb 10, 2014.

1. SilkieChicken4

SilkieChicken4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Middle of Nowhere, VA
    I have a broody/setting Silkie who we just gave about 6 eggs to (2 Silkies, 2 Orpingtons or Delawares, and 2 Ameracaunas). It is supposed to be really cold tonight where I live- and my other girls refuse to sleep with her- but hey are perfectly willing to sit on her eggs for her. I tried to move her and the eggs to a warmer location (over with her sister) but was told that she might abandon the nest and the eggs. Should I be worried that she might freeze to death with her eggs, or have the chance that she might abandon the eggs altogether??? Please respond ASAP!!! [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    tough one. a silkie usually wont leave her eggs no matter what. i have moved them before. i wait till its dark or cover the brooder i am putting her in to help keep calm and i take her, the eggs and a little bit of what she is nesting on now. i dont know if that is necessary or not. how cold will you be?

3. SilkieChicken4

SilkieChicken4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Middle of Nowhere, VA
    Low teens and below. It's also snowy out so that adds to the chill

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    if she has been sitting steady for a week or so i dont THINK she will leave them. there is always the exception. she should be separated from the flock anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by