Cold Chick

Raul

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
We were hatching just one egg in a little table top incubator and the chick had started to peck through the shell when we went to bed last night. When we came down in the morning the incubator had been knocked to the ground (cats!), open egg shell on the floor and no chick in sight. After a few minutes of scrambling (no pun intended) around, I found the chick on the floor next to some kid toys. She was alive and breathing, but cold and not moving. We got the chick back into the incubator. We're not exactly sure how long it had been out, maybe only ~5-30 minutes. She was obviously just freshly hatched and still very wet. I hoped that it was my little girl cat who did it since I have never seen her kill or eat birds or mice, just bat them around a bit. We don't see any obvious injuries to the chick. After 20 minutes in the incubator she had fluffed out, she was moving around and cheeping occasionally. After and hour, she has finally opened her eyes, but her movements are very jerky and she is still unable to stand or move in a coordinated manner.

I have to go to work now, I hope she is better when we get home and we'll move her into a the brooder box with another chick. What are the chances for this little guy? Do chicks survive if thier temperature drops low like that? If she does survive, will she have problems later? Advice and stories are welcome.

Thanks.

Of course I can't say for sure. My guess is she will be alright.
fl.gif
It sounds like you found her in time and got her warmed up. She will probably do much better when you put her in with a buddy
smile.png
There really isn't anything else you can do now except keep an eye on her. Keep us posted
hugs.gif

UPDATE: The chick seems to be just fine. We have moved her to the brooder box. She is cheeping loud and often. She is walking normally, or as normally as chicks get. I think you guys are right, she'll be just fine.
The current chicks at the co-op are about 1.5 weeks old and I think too old to buddy up with our little guy. The co-op gets new chicks in on Friday, so we are thinking we'll wait the two days and pick out a buddy for her that is more similar in age. So she'll be on her own for another 2 days. Phew, what a morning.

Back
Top Bottom