Cold Chicken

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yelim, May 22, 2010.

1. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    Is there a certain temp it has to get down to before chickens need heat in their coop?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Most folks say birds will survive down to 0 degrees...some even less if totally draft free, although some deal with frostbite issues (gen. due to a combination of humidity/cold). I use a heat lamp when it drops below freezing (thermocube).

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Unless you are dealing with a particular breed of chicken (like a Serama, say) that isn't cold hardy, most chickens can handle the cold far better than they can handle the heat. It's all that down insulation that nature puts on them!

Again, speaking generally, most adult chickens don't need heat at all provided that they have a shelter that keeps them from getting wet, protects them from drafts, and is well ventilated so the air inside doesn't become humid (that's how they get frostbite on their combs).

On the other hand, people in warm climates frequently have to do lots of things to ensure their chickens can survive hot summers.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    In Florida, your chickens shouldn't have a problem with the cold at all, once they have all their adult plumage. Make sure you give them shade and lots of ventilation in the coop for the summer, though.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You might take a look at my 'cold coop' page, link in .sig below, which discusses this subject.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by