COLD chickens?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goldeneggtees, Oct 15, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I worked today, was gone for 7 hrs and came back to very wet chickens. I got them inside, and have turned on the heat lamp, along with some warmed up treats but do you think they'll be ok? It's only 41 degrees fahrenheit. I know I'd be cold. They are 6+ months old.

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably, maybe, yes, most likely... [​IMG]

Obviously there's no way for any of us to say for sure, but mine like to be out in all kinds of weather, and at 6 months or more of age, they have all their feathers, down and lots of energy usually. It's chilly and rainy (though not pouring) here in norther Ohio today, not that different than your area, and mine are out poking around as we speak.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should be fine. All they need is a place to get out of the weather if they want. Mine stay out in light rain and look like drowned rats on a drizzly day, but take cover when it is pouring. They have good built in insulation.

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I'm trying not to be a worry-wart about the cold, especially since it is going to get a whole lot colder soon! So far my chickens are completely unfazed by being cold or wet! Aren't orpingtons a particularly cold-hardy breed?

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Mine don't mind drizzle and it seems to just 'roll off' their feathers....they are about the same age as yours. They seek shelter in dry spots or go in the coop if there is heavy rain. I have never had a problem with them getting muddy or soaked. The temp here is about 40-42 today during the day and they are out and it rains lightly at times. I would make sure your chickens are dry, keep them in a draftfree spot and maybe keep a bit extra warmth on them until they are dry if they have been wet.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Chickens are dumb they just stand their in the pouring rain outside their coop,and wont go in till its bedtime. Stuck on stupid. They'll be fine Mine have been doing it for days. Its been cold here in Ohio.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:With the exception of a brain damaged one (as with a brain damaged anything), chickens are not dumb. They know what they can tolerate and what they can't.
    JJ

8. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they should be fine. I have a few who like to stay out in the rain and snow and they're about the same age. My bantams on the other hand don't fair as well in the wet and cold. The whole flock got stuffy noses after the last rainy cold period.

Sonja

9. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi there! My 6 month old chickens were also outside in the rain today. They have shelter under the hen house, but they still came out from time to time and were pretty wet. Don't worry, they'll be fine! [​IMG]

10. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks all! I put them inside anyway. God forbid, they should go in on their own! [​IMG] In my yard, there are no covered areas per say, except for the many trees and bushes which helps a little but rain still gets through. When I went to check on them again in the coop, they were drying up but were then dealing with the dust from their shavings - I don't know which is worse for them.

Any ideas on what I can do to keep the dust down? I use regular pine (not cedar) shavings and pretty much use the deep little method. I clean under their roost every morning which helps keep it fairly clean. I'm sure it won't be quite as nice this morning considering they were all inside for awhile. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by