Cold Chicks, Stress - Heat Lamp Turned Off For Hours

Wishapup

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2013
Canada
Heat lamp had loose connection. This just happened. I've been checking them all day but was gone for a few hours (2-3?) around suppertime. The heat lamp had turned off.

I have 28 chicks, most are 1-2 days old and some hatched this morning. I barely caught them in the nick of time and rushed them to the incubator in a panic.

They've been in there for 10-15 minutes now. Most seem active. I'm afraid of the results of the chilling and stress, especially on my bantams. There's also very little room in the incubator - what if one gets trampled?

I know for stressed chicks I can give electrolytes/sugar water --- the water they've been drinking today contains Chix Stress Aid with electrolytes -- but as they are still warming up and there are so many chicks I cannot individually give chicks water...

Am I likely to lose a few?

th.gif

Update - I think they will be okay, but I don't want to speak too soon. They all can stand up and walk.

When I originally rushed them into the house, I found 1 bantam chick apart from the others, limp and cold. It couldn't walk. Now I can't discern which one that was, since they all look well.

Will be moving them back to brooder area and dipping each beak in Stress Aid water in about 30 min.

So glad they're doing better! From my reading getting them warm is the biggest thing. You can also warm up some water and put it in with them. You may lose some in the next 48 hours, but my fingers are crossed that you got to them in time!!

So glad they're doing better! From my reading getting them warm is the biggest thing. You can also warm up some water and put it in with them. You may lose some in the next 48 hours, but my fingers are crossed that you got to them in time!!

Thank you Wellie! I really hope I don't lose any. Some of these eggs were shipped and I was so glad to see them hatch.

I think I caught them barely in time. They're all looking good now. I'm also hoping by giving them warm Stress Aid water, I can combat some of the stress a little.

Poor things were cheeping so loudly when they were discovered. The new heat lamp is up, and we also have a new secure connection.

Technical issues is one thing you don't get with a broody. I was considering letting my broody hen hatch a couple this summer... this has convinced me that it might be easier.

lol! That is true! I have to admit I am thinking when my flock is old enough to go broody, if I have one I might let her do the work. I love seeing the chicks, but it's nerve wracking wondering if I'm doing it right. I'd be more than happy to let someone else be momma. I'm happy being the auntie who brings the food. ;)

Back
Top Bottom