Cold Colorado Winters

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by srothove, Nov 5, 2011.

1. srothove

srothove Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    My chickens are currently in their coop/ run, which I have tried to insulate a little bit with white styrofoam insulation covered with the plastic lens covers for florescent lighting fixtures. So far, they cannot peck to the foam, so it is holding on. The coop itself is very lightweight and not weatherproof, so I have thrown a tarp over it and left each end of the run exposed for light and fresh air.

I know this design is not sustainable and am looking into a new coop. In the meantime, should I be concerned about cold temperatures in the new, soggy snow we are receiving right now? These girls have been outside with no heat at all, so they are acclimating.

One good thing about the small coop is they sit on the roost side by side, so they keep each other warm.

Please provide your thoughts, particularly if you live in colder climates, and any ideas if I need to provide some type of additional warmth to them.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I too am in Colorado.
    I was also a worried chicken owner. I had tarps on the run for summer shade and they had to come off with the snow they would have drug down the roof.
    So far mine are fine. I have 10 in an 8x8 converted shed. I do have a window on the south that is closed yet lets the daytime sun in. I have added a thermometer to the coop so I can keep a watch on the coop temps. In the mornings even at 12 degrees outside the coop was only down to 28.
    I am not so worried anymore.
    I do have a heated waterer in the coop and light for the human element. (so I can see to clean it and such)
    Mine had a heat lamp in the coop and all that did was make them mad. They started pecking at each other so out it came. DH was just as worried about the large combs on the leghorns as I.
    I think so long as they are dry they will be fine.
    Have you looked on craigslist for coops or things that can be made into coops?
    I have a second coop that we built for only about $150. It is 4x6 and 36 high for the coop area with it being raised 2'.
    Here is a pic of it.
    [​IMG]
    and from the side
    [​IMG]

Not fancy but it is dry.
    My little ones are not fond of it and if I had it to do over I would have made it so it rested on the ground. They actually refused to go in so are now in the big coop with the original 6 chickens.

Do not know if it helps but that is what we are doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by