cold dead chicks - can I bring them back?

MamaRoo

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
A ferry ride away, WA
so i'm sitting here with two dead chicks on a heated barley bag and next to mt stomach. they weren't stiff when I found them so I figured I;d try warming them

they're about two days old

any tips?

Do you have any brooding chickens? If so, try putting them under her. I found a 'dead' chick who wasn't under her hatching momma... but the next day she was alive. I put her under the mom.

I was thinking about that too. I guess I could, although it seems creepy to put a dead chick under mom.

Any idea how long I should wait before deciding they're really dead?

I was thinking about that too. I guess I could, although it seems creepy to put a dead chick under mom.

Any idea how long I should wait before deciding they're really dead?
Well, it worked for me! You've really got nothing to loose.

I guess until they're stiff... ?I don't know on that one.

Put the little bodies under mom, and took out the two eggs that hadn't hatched. I figured after three extra days, nothing would be happening with those. brought them into the house to candle and one of them PEEPED at me!

So now my broody is sitting on three dead chicks, and two eggs that should have hatched 3 days ago.

Weird morning.

Put the little bodies under mom, and took out the two eggs that hadn't hatched. I figured after three extra days, nothing would be happening with those. brought them into the house to candle and one of them PEEPED at me!

So now my broody is sitting on three dead chicks, and two eggs that should have hatched 3 days ago.

Weird morning.
Oh wow! Well congrats to the peeping egg! Keep me updated! Check again tonight :).

No miracle resurrecttion, but Re-peep hatched out fine and I'm running out there every two hours to make sure all is well. I'll check her last egg today, and if it's not peeping, out it goes. Then maybe she'll follow the wee one around if she leaves the nest.

Back
Top Bottom