Cold eggs on the counter?

leighks

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
Now that the cold weather is here and low temps can be in the teen and below, I was wondering if it’s ok to take cold eggs from the next box and leave them out on the counter at room temperature until used? Or do eggs have to stay cold and in the fridge once they get cold?

I know many people keep eggs at room temperature for several weeks without any problems, and I have done that too, but I don’t know if the same holds true for eggs that come in cold from outside. This will be our 1st winter with chickens. Thanks!!

No frozen eggs yet, just very cold ones. So once they slowly come to room temp they can sit out on the counter for a few weeks? I was just worried once they got really cold they would have to be kept in the fridge.

It's all about the cuticle. If the eggs aren't washed, they're fine.
If they freeze, they'll crack, even if imperceptible. Then bacteria can enter so that's why you want to keep them frozen. You can't get good fried or scrambled eggs from them because the yolk crystalizes and stays hard. It is still edible, just not appetizing.

Ok then they should be ok, they aren’t washed and they didn’t freeze. I’m giving some out to family when they come over for thanksgiving and didn’t want to give them bad eggs!
Thank you.

I've found eggs don't 'sweat' (gather condensation) much because it's so dry in the house in winter.

It's really hard to know if they've frozen unless they really crack.
You're supposed to be able to spin them to see if they are frozen or not,
but I've never been successful with that technique.

Luckily I can gather frequently during really cold days.

Back
Top Bottom