Cold eggs

whitles798

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Hello! I have a hen that has been sitting and was due a week from today. I came home from work to discover her off her nest and her eggs cold. How long can eggs go cold this far into developing? I'm hoping they can be salvaged. :hit

Hello! I have a hen that has been sitting and was due a week from today. I came home from work to discover her off her nest and her eggs cold. How long can eggs go cold this far into developing? I'm hoping they can be salvaged. :hit

If they were due to hatch a week also, I'd say she knows that they are overdue and won't hatch. That's why she finally left them, I suppose. She already gave them an extra week of sitting... Unfortunately, they are probably too late. I wonder what happened for them to quit growth and not pip? I'm sorry the eggs didn't hatch

If they were due to hatch a week also, I'd say she knows that they are overdue and won't hatch. That's why she finally left them, I suppose. She already gave them an extra week of sitting... Unfortunately, they are probably too late. I wonder what happened for them to quit growth and not pip? I'm sorry the eggs didn't hatch

I miss-read... They aren't over due but had one week left. Bummer!! Candle them! See if you see movement...

They won’t be moving much if they’re cold but if heated up again are likely fine. The internal egg temperature is more stable than shell temperature.

Did she give up entirely? Do you have an incubator? Is it hot out where you are?

She didn't give up entirely. She's back on them now. She's young. About a year old now. She got off them once before but it was nasty hot and humid that day. Today was kinda cool so I was surprised to see her off. I think she got confused which nest was hers cause she tried sitting in the nest where the daily layers lay.

During the Summer months hens will often take longer sebanicals or breaks from incubation duties than they will in the Spring. If she is still clucking and acting broody in all other respects then she just may, possibly return to the nest.

ALL sitting hens deserve their own private nest and maternity pen. This is how hens hatch eggs naturally or in the wild, hidden and alone. Keep it as close to nature as is possible and there will never be a staggered hatch or a hen who is confused about whose nest is whose, in other words you will reduce you problems by 90% or better..

Back
Top Bottom