Cold Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by howtogrowanegg, Dec 7, 2009.

1. howtogrowanegg

howtogrowanegg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    Hi All,

This is our first year with chickens and we've taken the approach to keep our eggs on the counter after collecting them, but I was wondering if with the temperatures dipping here in Vermont if I need to refrigerate our eggs after collecting them?

My understanding is that once you refrigerate eggs they should always be kept cold. My wife and kids collect eggs several times a day and most of the eggs are cold. Hopefully we can get to them before they freeze.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I also store eggs on the counter but when the outside temp. drops below 35* they go right in the refrigerator..
    The temperature of a egg when laid is 104* and eggs freeze at 28*

Chris

3. Peepin out of the egg

Peepin out of the egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Canada
    OK!NOW I AM SCARED!PLEASE START GIVING MORE MORE MORE INFO!(DON'T WORRY I AM JJUST KIDDING!).[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I dont like the whole egg temp thing... I just tell everyone to cook the heck out of the eggs I give them... I did not know that eggs froze at 28 degrees tho... learn something new every day!

5. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I stick mine right in the fridge.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I live in Manitoba, and I am having a hard time getting to them before they freeze. They just end up frozen with a cracked shell cause the yolk and stuff expanded. Can I still eat them when they unthaw?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by