cold feet

McEgg

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
Guthrie, Ok
since oklahoma had an ice storm and it is now snowing, I am wondering about letting my hens out of the coop.
I let them out everyday to free range(they get mad if you don't) but got to wondering if they had enough sence to go back inside if the ground was too cold and the ice/snow caused damage to their feet.

Does anybody know if they will go back inside if it's too cold out?

I would hate to find out the hard way.

thanks

Here in Maine we have about a foot of snow since last week. My birds won't even go outside, though I leave the coop door open for them and put their feed outside! (I told them "I guess now I know why you're called 'chickens'..."
lol.png
)

I'd be willing to bet your hens will also go back inside, if they even go out, once their tootsies are cold enough.

Mine also in Oklahoma do have free access to in or out....even in all this ice,they stayed both in and out..... so I think they will be fine. I go check on them off and on all day,but realize some cannot do that.........if you are concerned, let them get mad,they forgive....keep them in.... Glad to meet another Oklahoma forum member
big_smile.png

I have some that won't venture out into the cold but others that will. I think they are smart enough to get inside if it is too cold.
Monty
P.S. Sbox, where are you from? I'll put you on our Okies in the BYC list.

My whole run floor was covered with snow this morn despite my attempt to provide a top protection. :mad: (Snow blew in sideways through the fence) The flock walked right in it when I opened their pop door. Only 'Sunshine', one of my EE, freaked out and flew to top of feeder to get out of the snow.
So far they really enjoy being outside. I shoveled out a sec under the protection and threw some straw down to provide them a dry sec in the run. They love scratching & spreading it around.
Who knows what they will do in the future when the temps drop lower.

We've got about 6 inches of snow here in NY and my chooks have a choice and choose to go out of the pen and free range in the snow. When they're cold they all huddle together under the old coop...even though they can come into the wind protected pen and/or coop.

My take is that they're okay and will have enough sense to come in if they are really cold.

Is there anything that I should be looking for to ensure that their feet are okay?

Back
Top Bottom