cold/flu?mystery ailment

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by 3goodeggs, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    For those of you that have been through this, what does the boy HAVE?
    It started with sore throat, two days later when the sinus nasal thing usually starts, he was fine.
    No nasal discharge or sinus pressure.

But he looked ashen and a bit green around the gills. I stayed home another day with him...THEN the chest congestion started. I keep asking him if he has any body ache or pain and he says no. He sounds like a purring cat...a BIG cat.
    This would be day two of the purring, but day six of being sick...not much coughing. just purring. Feline flu? something new?Anyone have this? Had this? What is this?
    I think he has a fever..but the temp ear thing broke so I go with the inner arm to back of neck method. He's hot.
    Does it sound like a secondary infection or just more of the first?

I wish I was a more confident mom. Where is the mom manual anyway?
    If he has the flu I need to keep his germs home.
    I'm feeling washed out, but no aches.
    Probably just worn out from washing my hands so much.

I hope this was the proper forum, and thank you to anyone who can enlighten me.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'd bring him to a doctor if hes got purring sounds in his chest. ASAP. Good luck! I hope he feels better soon.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I agree....a trip to the doctor should be in order. You want to rule out pneumonia. I hope he feels better soon! [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    It isn't into the lungs... trachea, yes. a lot of throat clearing but no coughing. Conjestion just where the chest and neck meet. He is still in the 7-10 day wait and see bit. He is walking around and doing things...but I remember doing that for months before I went to the doctor and had pneumoina.
    That's the fine line of I 'dunnowhatado.' Give it the ten days that the doctor requies...or take him to a walk in and to a different doctor. It does not seem that bad...I may be over precautious from all of the swine flu hupla... I am not a confident mother...Just a nervous hen questioning every move.
    What does the swine flu look like?

Just now got a phone call from father-in-law. Mother-in-law fell and broke her hip, asperated vomit and now has pneumoina.[​IMG]
    Please pray for her. Bones don't heal well at 82.
    Nuts. We have to stay away while we are sick too.
    I just don't like this.

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Wait a minute . . .

Your DOCTOR won't see him unless he's been sick for ten days?????? [​IMG]

6. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Oh, doc will see him, say it it is viral. I'll get the lecturefor bringing him in prematurely for a virus, and then I will feel really stupid. I also worry about how to pay for it.
    At least if I take him in after ten days, then I don't get the lecture .
    But...I'm all swine flu media frenzied...and it's a virus. ( I guess the 'frinzie' and the 'flu' are both viral.)
    I donno. I feel lousy myself. If the purring dives below the clavical, I am taking him to the walk in.

7. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    both of my DDs started this way with sore throat, then the deep coughing and rattling. At first thought it was strep then maybe the flu. I just kept them hydrated and gargling with salt water. Both are fine now! lasted about a week.
    Good luck and feel better.

8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear/read...
    he doesn't seem miserable ...I am just jumpy.
    probably the best cure for the entire country is to just avoid the news media for a couple months...might even cure the economy.[​IMG]

9. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    This is taken from the gov of BC's h1n1 resource site:

What are the symptoms of pH1N1 influenza?
    The symptoms of pH1N1 flu virus are similar to the symptoms of typical human seasonal influenza. Symptoms include high fever, cough, sore throat, headache, body aches, chills, fatigue, eye pain, shortness of breath, and lack of appetite. Some people with pH1N1 illness have also reported nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Symptoms or complications such as severe respiratory distress or pneumonia may develop in moderate or severe cases, as well as people with chronic health conditions.

What to do if you or your child has symptoms?
    If you or your child gets sick, you can take these steps to feel better:

Children and adults who are sick should stay at home. Do not send children to school or daycare.
    Drink lots of fluids (juice, water, Pedialyte).
    Get plenty of rest.
    Keep your child comfortable.
    For fever, sore throat, and muscle aches, you can use fever-reducing medicines that your doctor recommends based on your child’s age. Do not use aspirin with children or teenagers; it can cause Reye’s syndrome, a life-threatening illness.
    Keep clean tissues and a trash bag close, and throw the tissue in the trash immediately after you use it.
    Wash your hands frequently.
    A person who is sick should recover in his or her own room as much as possible.
    If someone in your home is sick, keep the person away from those who are not sick.

Hope your little guy feels better soon!!!

10. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thanks. It's like he has the flu symptoms but he's not laid out.
    I just worry too much. I should just have that worry gland removed.
    Thanks. I will print that out and refer back to it.
    My brain shuts down when my kid is involved...just when I need my brain the most!
    Thank you every one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by