cold geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by wordsnbooks, Jul 9, 2010.

1. wordsnbooks

wordsnbooks New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    What is the minimum temp that Toulouse can stand outside

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I don't know what the minimum is but I have seen them fairly confortable below freezing

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Here in Nebraska we just had one of the worst winters - EVER. I keep Roman's and Sebbies. Our temps dipped well below zero as in minus 35 below ACTUAL temps not wind chill a couple of times this winter. My geese stayed in the barn on the coldest of cold days but keep in mind - it was well below zero in the barn too. They made it through just fine and are no worse for wear. No frost bite or anything like that. I do keep electric 5 gallon buckets plugged in so they have warm water available to them at all times. I use pine shavings in their stalls. They were out and about on days where the temps were 5 to 10 degrees without any trouble. On the days where winds were very high and so the wind chill was a factor - they had a choice to stay in the barn or be outside - sometimes I was surprised that they spent as much time outside as they did.

I guess that's the reason some of the best and warmest clothing available for us humans to wear during cold weather - is made with goose down. [​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by