Cold hardiness?

christa7032

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering about what I should do this winter for my girls. I do not have an enclosed "coop" they are actually in a 10' x 10' modified dog run with a dogloo and a dog crate in them (with plenty of perches and even an area to hide under the crate). My mom has had chickens for years and thinks they will be fine for the winter in this since I live in southern california and it almost never drops below 35 in my area (and that is pretty rare). Right now my only adults are buff orpingtons and my younger birds who are still living in the house are 1 barred rock, 3 cochins, 1 americauna, and 1 silver laced wyandotte. Will my girls be warm enough? I also have one side of the run up against a solid vinyl fence and the back in the winter will be completely covered with a tarp. Any suggestions? I have noticed that my bo's will go into the dogloo when it is cold since there is no breeze and the only opening is in the front facing away from the wind. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi! IMHO, 35 F isn't winter, so you have nothing to worry about...
big_smile.png
It does sound as if your birds are looking for a draft-free place, though, so you could ensure that they have plenty of those to choose from. The wisdom on this site seems to be, that as long as your birds are feathered out, they'll be fine in cool temperatures. Someone posted recently that the temps in S. Cal. are over 100 F right now, so I'd be more concerned about keeping them cool!

Yes, I have been trying my best to keep them cool. I think the high temps are keeping them from starting to lay, but the weather will change pretty drastically pretty quick here so I wanted to be prepared. I have seen other chickens in the same type of pen as mine, without the windbreaks on 2 sides that mine has and they seem fine but I wanted to make sure.

On a similar note, how old should my chicks be before I put them in the coop if it is cold here (cold meaning the 40's or 50's at night)? There are six of them (not counting my 2 big girls) and they do huddle together when they are cold.

I live in northwest Iowa and am wondering if Wyandottes would be a good choice as far as hardiness is concerned?? Any and all answers appreciated! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom