1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold hardy birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catsew, Jul 6, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Is there somewhere on here that will tell you what kind of breeds are good for cold weather? Or personal experience.

How much time and/or how old do they need to be before winter sets in to survive? We can do a heat lamp if need be, but the coop will not be insulated.
    I just didn't know if there was still enough time in say another month to start chicks again or order some, or if I should just wait until next year.

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Rhode Island whites are known for their winter laying abilities. I used to raise them but don't have them anymore.

3. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Rhode island reds.. red stars, black stars and new Hampshire.. are kept with no troubles in ely mn and we get down to 60 below zero here a lot.

4. laurabonitahopkins

laurabonitahopkins Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Littleton, CO
  5. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'm in Alaska and have Rhode Island Reds, EE, White Leghorns, Silver Wynottes, Anaconas, Red Star, Black Star, Buff Rocks, Barred Rocks. They all do fine here, all we do in the deep cold months is put in a 250 watt red bulb. Simulates daylight for them and keeps it above freezing. Only had the water in the coop freeze once last year, but it was about 40 below when that happened. For the most part, between the hens and the light, it stayed about 40 above in there.

Best bet is to look for hens that have small combs and waddles, they don't get frostbitten like the leghorns can do. We wipe vaseline on the Leghorns in the deep cold to prevent them from freezing. They tend to go outside, look around and go back in.

6. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Forgot to mention the chick time. I've got 240 in my incubator right now and they'll be fully feathered before we have any snow here. I'm going to start in mid March next year and do about 100 a week for the first few weeks.
    I let my chicks feather out before I set them outside, some at 6 weeks, some at 8. So, if you got chicks this week, they could be outside and manage fine in Mid September. We don't get snow till late October so I'll have all these out running around before the snow flies.

7. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Plymouth Rocks, mine easily deal with winter.

8. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks. Well I guess unless some more hatch in the next few days, we'll wait until next year. Unless some place could ship them here by next week, I'd have to wait another month for a new batch to hatch. We sometimes don't get actual snow here until January and sometimes we have 4 feet in October.

I only looked at 2 places that sell the chicks and they had a minimum of 15. Do they all have higher limits or will there be someplace I can order just a handful of chicks?

9. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Brahmas and cochins are cold-weather birds. The feathering on the outsides of the legs and feet help keep them warm at night and the small combs and wattles were developed to help prevent frostbite.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We insulated our coop, it will be easier to heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by