1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold Hardy Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DuckLady, Oct 16, 2008.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Hey all, some of you kow my husband and I along with the flock are moving to NE Washington where temps can get below 0, I hear.

I want to do what is best for my geese and ducks.

I am trying to find homes for the muscovies because of their masks and they don't do well being confined inside a barn, even for their own good.

I also have knobbed geese, 3 chinese and an african.
    A toulouse, an embden and a sebastopol complete the geese.

How will these breeds do? Obviously the knobbed will need forced shelter, but at what temps? What about the sebbie? Loose feathers probably mean less protection from the cold.

Any thoughts on how best to care for them and make sure they will be safe from frostbite.

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I do keep my Sebastopol geese in a barn in frigid weather, but it goes below zero here in Maine! No problems so far.

3. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi Terrie,

When I lived in Western Montata we had chinese and african geese, they did fine with a shelter with lots of dry straw for the winters. Never hand any problems at all. [​IMG]

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have muscovies and china geese and sebs and they are kept in a barn at night and let out duing the day . They do fine in the snow . The sit in it ,swim in it , eat it . They seem to like it . I just keep the barn doors open and they do in and out as the blease with no problems at all , my muscovies do fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by