Cold hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannon84, Dec 15, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    One of my new Hampshire red hens stays chilly (I only have two hens red Hampshire) it's been in the low to mid teens lately but my buff Orpington roo and the other hen don't act cold as she does? So what the deal? She is more petite then the other hen... Drafts are blocked and they have pine and straw shavings. Plus they get scratch grain and black oil sunflower seeds before bed and in the morning! Thanks guys!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some chickens are affected more by colder weather. They will hunch up and look cold for a week or two before they get used to the new temperatures and acclimate. Every temperature drop will cause them to act cold again. All get used to it unless there's something wrong with them. I would expect her to be feeling better in the next week or so unless your temperatures continue to drop like ours are doing. Eventually they will be acting normal again.

3. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    okay that's good to know! Well here in Indiana the weather has been in the teens and twenties and Saturday it's going to be 64 degrees then back way down. I just felt do bad for her holding one foot up and shaking it [​IMG] she's a heathy hen, so I'm sure she'll hopefully get used to it. The weather is being difficult right now [​IMG] thank you so much! [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    We have recently dropped into the single digit temperatures with below zero wind chills. A bunch of my girls are still getting used to it too. Shivering provides heat and holding up legs warms them. I always feel guilty in my warm house too, but nature provides them with a thick down coat that thickens based on exterior temperatures similar to me adding more clothes as it gets colder. They might even get too warm when it warms up for you. I would enjoy being in the 60's again.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

What do you feed....Healthy Birds do not get sick.......

Cheers!

6. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have fed meat bird to my chickens. So use it up than choose an All Flock ration if you can find one. Glad to hear she's feeling better.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

9. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    oh crap well I definitely been giving them way too much then [​IMG] oh OK I did half and half one time and I got freaked out, I just love that rooster so much , he is the reason I got chickens because he was a stray that showed up [​IMG] thank you so much for the info!!!

10. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    thanks!! I'm so glad she is too, she's my good layer and my sweetest hen [​IMG] I'm glad to know my thinking on the feed part was okay then [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by