1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cold hens, crazy owner

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RedIII, Dec 22, 2011.

1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Well, it's been snowing on and off around here, and that usually means it's cold. I have a few hens and a rooster who are currently ranging freely in my boyfriend's yard, and while their coop is being built, they just kind of hang out and roost wherever. However, I am NOT happy with the idea of them having to tolerate a few nights in the cold without something warm to snuggle up in. They had places where they could go to avoid the snowfall, but still, I don't want my girls to freeze.

So pretty much, I pulled our large pet carrier out of the garage, found a nice foofy blanket, and then drove 30 miles or so through the snow to take care of the girls. I stuffed some hay inside the carrier for bedding, covered it with the blanket, and then put a tarp over that. One of the hens I picked up and put in there was shivering, poor thing! However, they all seemed to be okay by the time I left. And now I feel much better about them with the snow coming in.

Please tell me I am a good mommy for this (I feel bad that they don't have their snuggly coop ready yet)

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    They need to be dry and safe, so it sounds like you are off to a good start. Hopefully you can get them a proper home soon!

3. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    LOL! Before my coop was built I had my 2 girls stay in a Large dog hutch! Don't feel bad. when they get their new house they will be even happier! [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good job... get a coop built!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd have done the same thing. Good for you!

6. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    My chickens are going to Wales with me to visit my grandparents they are going to live in their garage! The coop doesn't fit in the car! I think your chickens are very lucky to have you provide that 'coop' for them!

7. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Yeah! We built our coop before we got the birds... My mom never goes into anything without knowing what is what!

8. RedIII

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Guess what? My boyfriend checked on them before work this morning, and he says it was nice and warm inside their temporary 'coop'. They didn't want to come out!

And thank you for not reaming me for not having the actual coop quite finished, hehe. We're working to have it done this week [​IMG]

9. wellllllll............ next time you just bring them right back home with YOU and take them up to your cozy warm bed! they would love a good snuggle in a warm bed! then of course hot oatmeal and biscuits with milk for breakfast.

Now, you KNOW you wont be able to take them back untilt he coop is up and the heater is on. the water heater should just be
    on the low side of hot. The don't like their baths to hot. [​IMG]

(just kidding you know....)

I think it's great what you did for them! they appreciated it I am sure. but really, some warm oatmeal is great for them!

10. RedIII

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Quote:I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by