Cold here in the mountains of VA tonight..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SizzleQueen, Jan 7, 2015.

1. SizzleQueen

SizzleQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    It's dropping down to about nine degrees, and so far ever animal I have is bundled up and tucked away early as night fall is just about to fall upon the farm.

I stuck two foot heaters in my chicken coop tonight just to make sure it stays warm for my babies till sunrise... Brr. I know alot of people say that you don't need to worry about it.. but i'm crazy enough that I do. Ha!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    When I got home from work, my girls were lined up at the edge of their run. Cold weather + evening = treat time. You should've heard them as I got closer to the run with the mealworm bag! Other than the mealworm treat, we didn't do anything special. It's only supposed to be 5* tonight here in the southern highlands. Our coop isn't drafty, so the wind chill shouldn't be a factor. I'm just thankful I get to live indoors!

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    We do spoil our darlings, don't we? Mine are tucked away in their insulated coops with oil heaters on the low setting to keep it above freezing.

At the same time, I have a flock of around twenty wild turkeys that have been hanging around the run this week. I toss them a handful of whatever I have extra, and they are now a fixture. They seem to manage the cold just fine without anyone putting a heater up in the trees for them.

4. WNCcluck

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC

Aren't wild turkeys amazing?!? We have them here, too, and just love to watch them.

5. SizzleQueen

SizzleQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    Quote:I wish we could have them up here on the farm.. but with 10 dogs, I dont think its possible :-(

6. WNCcluck

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    Our whole area is small neighborhoods and small farms. Most of the time here the turkeys just ignore us and our dogs. We do have about an acre fenced in for the dogs. I think the turkeys know exactly how far the dogs can chase them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by