Cold in chickens? I need help...Fast...UPDATE

Big Red's Mom

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Terry, Mississippi
I have 18 adult birds. 1 Rooster and 17 Hens or various breeds. They started out with a sneeze. One maybe two. Now several are sneezing and raspy breathing and one has crusty swelling around her eyes. They are all on antibotics. The one with the crusty eyes. I am helping by cleaning her face with a warm rag to clear the crust. I also have 12 young birds that I do not want to get this? What should I do? We do not have a vet in the area that will even look at a chicken. So no help there..
Oh. I cleaned and pressure washed the coop yesterday while the birds free ranged. I am gonna spray for bugs today and on Monday after everything is good and dry I will re-clean the floor (poop) and put down fresh seven dust and mulch. While the chickens are outside.
I have also added another fan to keep the air moving. I love in Mississippi and it is 98 - 100 degrees everyday. Already
he.gif

Last edited:
I have read that chickens don't get colds I would do a search on byc with the symptoms that your chickens have and see what it might be. I know some people do not treat respiratory infections due to them being virus. Which will make your chickens carries of something which will infect new birds that you bring in.

Okay. Questions:
1. How do you know if it is a fungal, bacterial or viral infection?

2. Where to you get Tylan or Baytril? and will they work on both fungal and bacterial infections ?

I have two small fans blowing on them at night to help keep them cool and the bugs from eating them up. I have checked on the at all times of the night and they do not sneeze as much or at all at night.

3. Can the fans be part of the problem?

4. How long do they need to be on meds before they start to get better? Some are just sneezing but a few have the infection in their eyes. I am treating those but pulling a warm cloth on their eyes to losen up the crust when wiping away all the yuck. I thought about putting triple antibotic ointment on the area but was not sure.

I really love my chickens and they are pets. I just do not want to lose any more. I have lost others in the past to other things. Not this.

Thank you for any information.......

Tylan 50 is at TSC as well as the syringes you need. Even if you administer it orally you NEED a syringe to get it out of the bottle because of the stopper. Tylan 50 is 3 days at 1/2 cc for standard (.50) and 1/4 cc for bantams (.25) You can inject it under the skin in the breast area, change sides daily. DO NOT inject into the muscle! (the bottle says to inject intramuscular, the bottle also says for swine & cattle only. Since they don't make it for poultry we have to improvise a bit) I've also given it orally and it works just as well.

I administered tylan 50 and fogged with oxine and it worked when mine had infectious bronchitis, so it may work with yours....without knowing for sure what they have though, don't take that to the bank!

Quote:
To give it orally to you give it straight to the chicken by mouth (by dropper) or do you mix it? I am scared to try the shot thing.
Can you get it from TSC without a RX? We have a new one going up in a town close by. I am so excited.

Last edited:
Yes, you can get it without a Rx. Use the needle to pull it out of the bottle. Remove the needle, open their mouth and just shoot it in. You might want to use just a tiny bit more if you do it this way.....they tend to shake their heads after and some of it goes flying.

Okay two days of meds down and one to go. The shooting it down the mouth thing is not so easy. I have gotten it done two days now with a few scratches (on me)...How long before I see a difference......Oh yeah...How long til I can keep the eggs again?
Thank you again for any information.

Back
Top Bottom