Cold Ladies

ravanellofarm

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
Hello! You have already proved to be a wealth of information and we can't wait to post pictures of our finished coop. But in the meantime I'm worried about my 6 precious poulets. The temp is dropping to 42 degrees tonight and they are already huddled around the heat lamp in their coop. We moved them out of the brooder and into the coop last week at age 7/8 weeks. They look fully feathered but should I bring them in for the night or is it normal for them to snuggle in the current 53 weather? It has been raining off and on today with some gusts of wind and heaven rain at times. The coop is dry inside with the brooder light and I added a box with bedding too. Any advice for this nervous first time chicken mama? Thank you in advance!

Without the heat lamp they will be fine. I know you are worried, but they huddle like that at night even when it is warm. They are flock animal, and being close together increases their odds of survival.

They are not cold. Worry about keeping birds DRY. If they are dry, out of the wind, they are warm.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom