1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cold months...heat the coop or just do supplemental light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brghtii, Nov 3, 2011.

1. brghtii

brghtii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I am trying to figure out what to do with my chickens. I have two coops, one is a walk in and the other is a 4X4 box like thing. The smaller one would be hard to use a light in for heat or lighting. I live in Utah and it has gotten down to 20 (as of 7am) one morning. I have no clue if it was colder in the night. It will get colder in the coming months. THis is my first winter with chickens so I am learning. I know they will eat more in the cold to stay warm but should I put a lamp in the bigger one for warmth? If so what kind? A red heat lamp or just a normal bulb? Should I do both but one on a timer for light?

Any cold weather chicken owners out there? BTW, my coops are NOT insulated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. brghtii

Mar 18, 2011
    yay!!!!!!!!!!! My life has just become so much easier!!! I really need to learn how to use this site better. [​IMG]

THANK YOU!!!!

4. brghtii

Mar 18, 2011
    Judy the larger coop is 6X6. I don't think that is big enough for 20 chickens. Both ends have a 4X4 run, so it has openings on both ends. It used to be partitioned in the middle bu I removed that this summer. I was thinking of closing part of on of the little doors out to limit the cross wind. Most of my wind comes from a different direction though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by