Cold Morning In The Northland...PIC HEAVY added two more pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Turkeyrangler, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I'm home sick today, but still needed to tend to the birds. Got down to about -14 F last night. It was about -5 F when I went out to the coop at 9:30am.

As you can see, the sun doesn't get very high here this time of year. It will not get above the trees again untill late February or Early March even at noon. Yes, those are tomato cages, I got lazy this fall.

[​IMG]

Looks pretty cold out, but the turkeys don't care. I let the birds out for a little bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the coop. No one has any frostbite on combs or feet. The turkeys use the top roost at night, everyone else uses the rafters. It isn't pretty, but it works pretty well. Birds don't seem to care about pretty. In fact they've been developing their own painting scheme in there...[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm adding a couple more pics since I didn't get much of the chickens and peafowl. I turned the shavings and added more shavings at dusk. It was getting a bit poopy in there. No bad odors, but then it's below zero. [​IMG]

Chickens; the Barred Rocks are mutts and two lay green eggs, and another lays pinkish/brown. You can barely see my EE hen to the right with the EE cockrel.

[​IMG]

Peafowl breeding pair. The Peacock is just getting a really good bunch of feathers after moulting late this fall.

[​IMG]

I need to run to the feed store and pick up some more shavings, pellets and scratch. I'm running at about 8-10 inches of deep litter with DE to keep everything nice and dry. Turning the litter at least once a week.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. 2manyRoosters

2manyRoosters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Gloucester, MA
    They all look quite content. Does the peacock mind the cold? I was thinking about getting one.

3. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Great looking bunch of birds you got! [​IMG]

4. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Cool pictures! Your birds are all so pretty. I am in Northern ND and our temps have been about the same. I dread going to barn because the wind blows in my face on the way back to the house. No matter how well my face is covered it still feels like getting slapped in the face with an ice pack!

I only have 3 turkeys, a Bourbon Red and 2 White Holland's, so please don't mind my ignorance, but what kind of turkeys are in your pictures? I love the shine to their feathers.

5. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:My peafowl don't seem to care anymore than the turkeys. Their heads are completely covered with feathers so I'm guessing they are even more insulated. No combs or bald turkey heads to contend with. All these birds are local birds and seem very cold hardy. I'm not getting any frost in the coop except on the windows.

6. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:Three eastern wilds and three eastern wild/standard bronze crosses. One tom and two hens in each group. I'll be building two breeder pens on the end of the run next spring for breeding the turkeys.

7. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Bump..added a couple pics

8. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Very pretty pictures! Your birds a beautiful.

It was in the 70s here today!

9. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Beautiful Pea's, do you have any pics of your male strutting? His tail looks so full and bushy I bet it is georgous when it is extended.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  10. Turkeyrangler

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:I have better than that. He is actually kinda famous on Youtube, His previous owner is a man named Ray who is moving at some point and let my wife and I basically raid his place for birds since he wasn't going to take them all. He lives about 35 miles south of us. Right now the peacocks fan is only half of what it should be. After breeding they loose their fan. Moult the entire thing. He had no tail when I got him. It will grow back by spring and be about 6 feet long.

I hope you have a fast internet connection so you can view this. Here are a couple video links to Youtube showing the bird. Ray is a riot by the way.

I also have the Evil turkey. He is a sweetheart with my wife and I.

Here is his place last spring. This is how I found out about the birds. He put a post on BYC and I responded. I had already seen some of his videos on gardening in the wasteland up here.

check out his channel on Youtube. He has a lot more videos including his coop in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by