cold night/frozen water/chickens seem ok

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dftkarin, Nov 20, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    It has been in the teens the past two night and each morning the chickens gallon waterer has been completely frozen solid, the chicken poop on the droppings board have been frozen solid - and I don't feel any warmth in the coop when I open the door - but my 4 hens don't seem unhappy or sick or frozen. I'm slowly trying to add weatherstriping to the cracks. If its cold enough to freeze a gallon of warm water - is that still okay for the chickens? I want to trust you all but I worry about the nights when it gets below zero!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Warm water freezes faster than cold.

Icey cold water has to warm up before it can freeze.

Your chickens are fine if they have food, water and good bedding.

You are doing good.

3. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:Complete wives tale... sorry.

Warm water must cool to freeze. Icy water only needs to drop a few degrees to freeze. We proved this in my high school Chemistry class 25 years ago. And it was the subject of a "Myth Busters" .

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Went down to 9 F last night and no signs of frostbite on the roosters combs. My water was frozen but not frozen solid.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have some water containers with out heater base - they're ALWAYS frozen this time of year.

I top em up a little with more water till it warms up enough then I dump them out and re-fill.

THe rubber ones I can either KICK and break the ice or I dig it out by hand.

The chickens only get annoyed if they can't get their water. [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Complete wives tale... sorry.

Warm water must cool to freeze. Icy water only needs to drop a few degrees to freeze. We proved this in my high school Chemistry class 25 years ago. And it was the subject of a "Myth Busters" .

Not.

Proven many times over.

It is the Mpemba effect.

This apparent quirk of nature is the "Mpemba effect," named after the Tanzanian high school student, Erasto Mpemba, who first observed it in 1963. The Mpemba effect occurs when two bodies of water with different temperatures are exposed to the same subzero surroundings and the hotter water freezes first. Mpemba’s observations confirmed the hunches of some of history’s most revered thinkers, such as Aristotle, Rene Descartes and Francis Bacon, who also thought that hot water froze faster than cold water.

http://www.livescience.com/mysteries/080926-llm-ice-cubes.html

The phenomenon you describe is one of modern science's few remaining mysteries and the source of much debate in certain circles. Given the right set of conditions, hot or warm water can freeze faster than cooler water.
    This strange phenomenon was described by the likes of Aristotle, Bacon, and Descartes, yet is named after the Tanzanian high-school student who demonstrated it in 1969. The Mpemba effect only occurs under very specific sets of conditions and is still not completely understood.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20030930.html

You can google it and read thousands of scientific journals for yourself.​

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Assuming sensible breed choice and reasonably dry (rather than very humid) nondrafty coop air, chickens freeze at a temperature a LOT lower than water freezes [​IMG]

Put a max-min thermometer in your coop at roost level (not right under a vent) if you want to know what the temp is actually doing [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

8. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup - same with us.

Today it's a balmy 26 degrees here in Boston (that's not a complaint so no snarky comments please from other climates), and our three came of of their coop just fine when I opneed up the door at 6:30.

Last weekend I set up a Little Giant heater udner their water can and it has worked fine so far. I got it on Ebay for $32 and it's the heavy duty one that works in temps down to 10 degrees.

[​IMG]
    Phyllis

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Quote:I don't think my chickens would sit still long enough for me to do this anyways!

[​IMG]

10. HSmamma

HSmamma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    our water was frozen too. I bought an electric dog water dish, put a large rock in it so no chickens would fall in, presto-thawed water without chipping it. The coop is very cold. Was only 8 degrees here in RI last night. Chickens don't seem to mind but since they are only 18 weeks old I'm guessing it will be a while before I get some eggs. Sigh.
    Hsmamma:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by