Cold Night? What to do with chicks?

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
I have 8, 7 week old chicks. Most of them have all their feathers, except one who's a little behind in development. Tonight when I went to lock them in, they were all huddled together and roosting on the top roost pole (except 1...I don't think she can fly as well because she's never up there, she's always by herself but I move her to the top so she doesn't freeze). It was pretty cold in the coop (temp outside was 54). I also could feel some cold breezes while inside the coop. I loaded the bottom with fresh hay (on top of their soiled stuff), refreshed their food and water and attempted to set up a heat lamp. I set it up close to the roost but ended up turning it off for two reasons 1) I couldn't get it set up to a point where I felt comfortable leaving it there without any accidents happening (fires, chicks wandering into the heat lamp because it was on it's side, the lamp falling to the floor, etc) 2) The light woke up all the chicks and they all began jumping off the roost and getting all fired up. I turned the lamp off and put all the chicks back on the roost so they were comfortable for the night. They all pretty much settled in right away except one who insisted on jumping down FIVE times until she finally got comfy with the other chicks. Will their body heat keep them warm enough?

As long as the drafts you felt don't blow directly on the chicks, they should be fine snuggled together for warmth. You made the right call on that heat lamp. ALWAYS listen to that little warning voice! It will never let you down!

As long as the drafts you felt don't blow directly on the chicks, they should be fine snuggled together for warmth. You made the right call on that heat lamp. ALWAYS listen to that little warning voice! It will never let you down!
The drafts were mostly from the chicken door (which is open, not made of wood; made of metal bars, kind of like what makes a rabbit cage) and from the human door which was open at the time so I hope they will be ok.

The lamp was making me nervous because already, my blue andalusian (they are known to be curious) was trying to climb into the lamp. I was afraid on of them would burn themselves or knock it over.

x2 on listening to your little inner voice! They'll be just fine. Mine were younger than that when they went out to live in the coop last year, and we were still in the teens and 20s and getting snow. Today they are all grown up, laying eggs, and enjoying being chickens!

Back
Top Bottom