Cold rainy weather!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sillystunt, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I really hate compalining about the cold weather since i am in Florida. It has been really cold and wet here in central Florida. I had 5 silkie chicks drown in the rain. That was the worst thing i have ever incountered having chickens. It is like they commited suicide in the rain.

My FAVORITE hen has snotty stuff coming from her nose and eyes. This just started after i came home from a swap. I am so freaked out i started her on Tylan and Vetrx. The coop got trash bags stapled on to keep the drafts from getting them and i am doing everything i can. I just feel so horrible for them!!! Should i get lights for them , to warm them up? I mean it is only dropping to 40 but i am still worried!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOO fustrating and to add i now have a pullet with fowl pox. She is in the shed by herself. It is warm in there cause of the 2 heat lamps from my brooder boxes. And 3 of my chicks in the brooder boxes have snotty noses as well. I feel i am jinks or something. LONG story but i always do the right thing but dang it keeps biting me in the you know what!!!

I am totally venting and i should probally stop! Just so stressed out about my flock!! And to make matters worse we go away on friday - sunday. How am i gonna do this?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm so sorry; I know how you feel! I've just come through a bout with flock illness, too, and I was sick with worry the whole time (fowl pox, with our little roo contracting wet pox).

You'll get through this; you're doing everything you can. Your birds have to do the rest. It's nature's way.

Good luck, hang in there.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have had a run on that cold, wet, sick bird weather as well. It gets depressing.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    so over it! dear god, i am in florida already. Where is the sun?????

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Gosh I might add a heat lamp if they're wet in there, it might not really be that cold, but if they're wet they'll be very unhappy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by