Cold Snap -11ºF

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hokum Coco, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Been going through a cold snap the last 3 or 4 days -11ºF. My chickens are doing fine in this metal coop. My egg production is way down 1 maybe 2 eggs a day from 10 hens. They are on their 4 trip around the sun.

No heat no light no problems. I feed extra corn.

[​IMG]
    I leave this left hand door open on days above 0 or 32ºF (inside door has hardware cloth)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Where's the snow? At minus eleven I expected to see snow! [​IMG] What kind of chickens do you have? There are certain breeds who are cold-tolerant.

3. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @ OLdChick You would be a good policeman as you pay attention to detail. That picture was taken in the spring (I am not sure what year). I will try and take a new one just for you OldChick.

I have Golden Comets and a Delaware rooster. I feed extra corn.

[​IMG]

I know still no snow LOL.

4. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

Things will get a fresh coat of paint and another coat of whitewash in the spring.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The issue with your hen,is it medical? Checked her for impacted crop,egg bound is a long shot due to her age,but still a possibility. Unfortunately hens over the age of 4 have a 50% increase in developing ovarian cancer.

6. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    No Eggs PERIOD.
    Started snowing which means warmer temperatures ahead.

7. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Poor girl. My condolences.

1 person likes this.
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    My chickens have stopped laying a few days ago. They have seen three trips around the sun, and most of them are molting, so they deserve a break.

So, it snows when it gets warmer- sorry that made me chuckle. It was 22 degrees here and I was not chuckling. I have more than 50 trips around the sun and I like my sun on the warm side.

Keeping chickens in frigid weather fascinates me. Those little cluckers seem to adapt to just about any thing.

9. Randykr

Randykr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    "no problem" Really ?... chickens need light and protection from sever cold!
    A 4 foot shop light with full spectrum bulbs (Grow bulbs same thing) on for 12 hrs per day, would help a lot, and not very expensive. And a couple of infared bulbs would help keep them warm. You have to consider, the colder it is, the more stress they have... the more stress, the less eggs right? If they aren't producing ANY eggs, they are being stressed to the max... no, they aren't dead, they are still eating, at this point it's called SURVIVAL MODE.... they aren't chickens!! Do you see any eggs? If you consider yourself being that cold. -11F is 40 degrees below freezing water. Its not about,, "they ain't dead yet... must be doing OK" Certain conditions need to be met to limit stress.

IF you don't see eggs there might be a P r o b l e m.

10. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I give my girls a break in winter also,decreased daylight,decrease in egg production. I have never been concerned about egg production,they are pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by