Cold snap, will my chicks be ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PirateGirl, Apr 20, 2017.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    I got my "outdoor coop ready" starter pulletts a few days ago. They are about 7 weeks old and doing well so far. A storm is moving in and the next 3 nights it's supposed to be colder around 25 degrees Farenheight with up to 10 inches of snow. Should they be ok? There's no heat in the coop and no adult birds. I've kept the coop closed up all day to keep any warmth they generate in there, but will this be good enough? Considering putting a hot water bottle in there when I go to bed. Other suggestions? Am I worried needlessly? They are my first chickens and smaller than I'd expected when I picked them up.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Where did they come from? At 7 weeks they should be fully feathered and acclimated to outdoor temps.

3. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    They came from a farm a few hours away (Colorado) but it's at a much lower elevation where the weather is 10-20 degrees warmer on any given day. Some have better plumage than others, but the larger ones will let the smallest sleep underneath them. This is the first they will likely be in temps below freezing. The snow has started as I type.

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    They should be fine. My chicks are in the coop and weaned off heat at 4 weeks old.

5. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Update: We debated bringing them in because by bedtime it was already colder than the forecasted low. I left them out, but locked in their coop. I checked on them in the middle of the night when my dog woke me to go out and they were cold but ok. This morning they are peeping away and fine. It ended up dropping to only 18 degrees F! Now I know they can survive about anything. If they were full grown I wouldn't have worried, but couldn't imagine the tiny peepers making enough heat. We did add cardboard over their window and covered part of their vent.

6. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Also I had previously been advised that they needed to be indoors where we live until 3-4 months of age, which was why I'd opted for older birds in the first place.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Many of us brood chicks outside from the first day, using a heating pad. My chicks normally go out when they are about 48 hours old. But, it's been miserably cold and rainy all week. Too cold for me to be out setting up their grow out coop, so they've been in a garage, kept in a double wide appliance box condo until this coming weekend.

8. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    I feel better since they did fine overnight, but I'm not going to let them get wet in the snow. They can stay in the coop while I'm at work today and can go out again when the weather improves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by