Cold snaps with chicks what should do ???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by funny quails, Jul 1, 2016.

1. funny quails

funny quails Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    qeensland
    in Queensland lately there has been a huge cold snap with rain and everything but with me hatching chicks this week what should do??? in 2 days when a chick hatches do I let the mother take care of it? do I bring it inside? how many times should I check on the chick?

CAUSE IM WORRIED [​IMG]

2. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    You probably shouldn't be worried. A mother hen is VERY protective and she wouldn't let the chick run off and if the chick is cold, she will sit on it. But just to be sure, take the hen and chick inside or make a warm place in the coop for them.

3. funny quails

Jun 23, 2016
    qeensland
    should I get a place ready for the chick when it hatches inside because lately they've been laying everyday [​IMG]

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Hold on a second.. As far as I've understood from your other posts, your quail are not even sitting on the eggs yet. And now you say you are expecting a chick in two days? Eggs don't just hatch on their own, you know. Your quail will need to sit on them pretty consistently for at least 16 days, before you get any chicks. In general, mine only leave the nest for about 10 minutes at a time several times a day to feed, preen and dust bath, when they are broody. At all other times, they are on the nest. And they don't lay any more eggs when they are broody.

5. funny quails

Jun 23, 2016
    qeensland
    DK newbie my quails are sitting on their eggs and also they do the same as yours leave the nest for 10 mins and come back I am expecting a chick and they lay 1 or 2 eggs a day also some of my other posts where for my friends and their quails so yeah. also if you would like to say stuff like that send me a private message thanks

6. DK newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    No offence intended, I just hadn't read one word saying your quail were actually broody - and you might not believe it, but sometimes people actually come here and ask 'do they have to sit on the eggs to make them hatch?'. Still, am I thinking I read something I didn't or don't you only have 2 hens? If you are getting 1-2 eggs and only have 2 hens, either one of your hens is very productive or the supposedly broody one is still laying..

Anyway, for the cold I wouldn't worry too much, but the rain could be a problem as your cage looks relatively unprotected. You might want to consider covering it on 2-3 sides to keep the inside dry. Depending on how the other quail respond to the chick, you might need to separate mother and chick anyway though. And in that case, you might as well place them in a cage inside..
    As for checking on it, sometimes everything is fine even if you don't check on it at all apart from when you are feeding it and sometimes you can spend 3 hours staring at it, leave for 20 minutes to get something to eat and come back to find a cold chick, stretched out on its side and about to die..

7. funny quails

Jun 23, 2016
    qeensland
    um well on the cage I put a old blow up pool around the cage and it keeps the rain out also one of my quais I still don't know wich one but it layed a blue egg is that good or bad? [​IMG]

8. DK newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    I haven't had any really odd colored eggs from my buttons, but I've seen a few posts on here about coturnix quail that occationally lay blue eggs and apparently the explanation there is that the egg has spent too long in the oviduct and has received a little too much 'paint' or something like that. It might be caused by stress, but as long as it only happens rarely, I wouldn't worry.

9. funny quails

Jun 23, 2016
    qeensland
    Thanks I didn't really notice till now do u want me to post a picture to show you.

10. funny quails

Jun 23, 2016
    qeensland
    Thanks I didn't really notice till now do u want me to post a picture to show you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by