cold temps, close up coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ema, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I live in northern Ontario and its already been -1 here at night. I have a heat lamp in the coop and I went out in the middle of the night to check the temp and it said it was 10 C degrees in there. our winters are long and cold the norm temps here in winter are around -25 but we get a lot of -35 to -40 nights and some days when there is a cold snap. I worry about my chickens getting too cold and getting sick or dying. today it wasn't windy or super cold in fact it was sunny and warm most of the day and they went out. When should I worry about not letting them out in your opinion?? the coop is large 10x12 and its an in-barn coop, I haven't insulated it yet for winter but that is soon to be done.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:If it's in a barn it may not need insulation. You could pile some bales of hay around to hold some heat. Drafts and ventilation are your main concerns. Watch the feet and combs for frostbite, which will not be likely if you have good ventilation so the humidity can get out. Be sure your roosts are wide and flat so they can fully sit on their toes. They need these things whether or not you choose to heat or insulate. Insulation can increase humidity problems.

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Thank you for the tips. I do have roosts that are flat and wide now and we have great ventilation in the coop year round. the barn has no insulation on it itself it was built in the 60's and its all old wood. I do have a few drafty spots on the outer walls which I found the other day when we got a sudden northern wind. I could feel the wind blowing in. so tomorrow while my girls are out I am planning on buying a can of insulation filling those holes and then covering them up so they cannot peck at the dried insulation.
    the coop walls in the barn are 8 feet tall, 4 feet wood 4 feet chicken wire and has a screened top so all moisture escapes even with the doors and windows closed. I guess I am not sure if they should be let out when its cold or kept indoors. my gut tells me I should keep them inside. but I would hate to deprive them from being outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by