cold temps, decreased light...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hispoptart, Nov 20, 2011.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    And increased egg production! What gives?? [​IMG] My 4 pullets about 7 months old have been consistently giving us 3 eggs a day, now for the past few days it has been 4 a day! I thought they were supposed to decrease the amount of eggs they lay in the winter.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    You are SO lucky! My 7 girls have dropped to ZERO!!! <sigh>

3. hispoptart

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Quote:I'd be happy to share if you were close to me. I am grateful for them, but just really surprised. I know that new layers don't usually slow down in winter...but speed up????

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Aww. thanks! That's very sweet. We're resigned to store-bought now <sigh>. Can't wait for spring!

5. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:Do you suppliment light?? I was told before i got mine that they would stop laying this time of year too but the person that told me this has no ligt in his coop and free ranges his birds. I have a small urban coop and provide 16 hrs of light per day and they did not stop laying at all even the first night in the new coop i still got 2 eggs.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

any other changes? A new bag of feed or something that could explain the increase? Maybe your chickens are just now hitting their stride.

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My girls also started to lay every day, we did start to give them different snacks, and started to put scratch out again.

8. hispoptart

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    bugkiller- not supplement light. I figured I would just let them have their normal cycles and let them rest when nature says they should.

ChicKat-karlamaria- No other changes, same food and same snacks, I think maybe it is that the just now have gotten to full speed.

I am going to have to start selling the eggs as we don't use as many as the make.

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Isn't that great? Your chickens can hold a sign.... "will work for food". :O) Meaning of course that the egg sales can help buy feed. Lol.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  10. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    At 7 months, they likely are reaching full production mode! How lucky for you! Things may start to slow down eventually this winter, but enjoy it while it lasts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by