Cold, Vaseline, and "large combs"

cheapcheepcheep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
Littleton, MA
Hi everyone,
It's going to hit the single digits in the next couple of nights (maybe even down to 0) here in central MA, so I was reading up on frostbite prevention. The vaseline technique sounds like it's best for birds with "large combs," but I'm not sure if I qualify. I have 3 Buff Orpington hens and 3 Barred Rock hens. My coop is uninsulated, 4' x 5', and they all huddle together on the roost in 2 rows. I have 4 vents, as well as a window that opens (but I keep it closed in the cold). I'm thinking that if I have enough ventilation, they should be fine without vaseline, if their combs are considered small. Is this an accurate thought? I'm willing to lube them up, but if it's not necessary, I'd just as soon not put all of us through that experience. The vents are above their heads when they are on the roost (and the roost is between the vents). Here's a shot of the coop to show the ventilation. The small vents are on the opposite wall as well.

I suppose I could also crack the window for more ventilation, but I'm worried about it getting too drafty.

Am I overworrying? This is my first winter with chickens.

I think you have great ventilation and wouldn't worry about it. If you think they need it later on then you should "lube them up" but for now I think they're fine.

Back
Top Bottom