cold weather advice

Kacey52

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
We are expecting to get pretty cold tonight. There's warnings about bringing in outside animals. It's 10* right now, with a windchill of -4*, and it's suppose to go down to 2* My 3 Mallards free range in my yard all day and at night are put in their coop which has shavings in it, hay bales around it and a tarp over it. Their coop is partly fenced with a house attached very similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/New-Age-Pet-Fontana-Chicken/dp/B008E15V4C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_26 My question is, should I put them in a dog crate in the garage tonight (like I did before they had the house, when they were babies) or will they be fine in their house?

That's got to be your call, and I wish I had a reliable formula for knowing if the best thing is the garage, or if they are okay where they are.

Is the garage predator-safe? I reckon it must be, if they were okay there when they were younger. I would lean toward bringing them to where it would be closer to freezing than so far below freezing.

How cold does it get in the garage? Is it attached, so it would get just a little heat from being next to the house?

The garage is very predator proof. It is not attached but it is insulated and my husband started a fire in the wood burning stove out there so it warmed it up a bit. I'm not sure what the temperature is out there but I know it's warmer in there than out in their coop. Do you think there is any harm in them being warm in there and then coming back out in the cold in the morning?

While there is a concern about rapid extreme temperature changes on the health of ducks, I feel that there are times when we have to consider optimum temperature range for their health, as well.

If nighttime temperature is going to be 2F, and the next day it will be 25F, that's more of a temperature difference (23 degrees) than the difference between a 35 degree garage and 25F the next day (10 degrees).

And there just comes a time when hypothermia is a real risk. If you don't have a thermometer in their outdoor shelter, I don't think you can assume what the temperature will be.

In any case, loads of dry fluffy bedding will be important, as well as some food and water. Their little internal furnaces need to be stoked. And I know, water and ducks and bedding . . .

If they need to be without water overnight to keep the bedding dry, I understand, but breakfast in the morning will be very important.

Last edited:
Right. Thank you for your help! I'll put them in the crate in the garage tonight. I'm sure it will cool down in there as the fire will be out all night so it'll be closer to the outside temperature.
smile.png

How is the ventilation in the garage ? Forgive me, I am kinda tired, and I just had a nightmare thought about carbon monoxide.

I would hate myself if anything happened and I did not share my worry.

Im not sure really. There's no windows and it is insulated but it doesn't seem bad in there. There is a ceiling fan out there that's always on. My husband seems to think if I put them in the crate that they'll hurt themselves cuz they're bigger now. We're currently discussing what to do. He suggested putting more hay bales around their pen.

Could you arrange some hay bales in the garage? If the woodstove is not burning, there ought not be a fire hazard, or a CO hazard, I would think.

2 degrees is pretty cold for three small ducks. You care about them, and I know you'll do your best by them.

I could probably do that. I concerned though that they'll get out of the enclosure and get into something out there. Ugh, I didn't realize earlier that it was going to be so cold or I would've made arrangements for them. I love these guys so much it's crazy! I'l figure out something. Thanks again for the help!

With my ducks feeding plenty and giving plenty of water an on cold day warm cooked oats int he morning really gets them started. They never get cold and live in an open cage covered with two layers of carpet. My ducks seem to be little furnaces letting out soo much heat. Also if need be you can buy some insulating sheets which can be used to pad the inside or outside of the cage to keep warmth in and you can have a light in there when there out to warm up the duck house then remove it when its nice and cozy and before you let them in. The insulating sheet will keep most of the warmth in.

A nice meal of oats and they went 4 hours in the snow without even getting cold feet. there feet were literally warm :D

Back
Top Bottom