Cold Weather and chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sfischer, Nov 2, 2011.

1. sfischer

sfischer Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    So I live in a very mild area - outside of Sacramento, CA where maybe 1x a year it freezes. Right now my coop has a couple of sides that are just wire and the door is wire because I like being able to see them and it gets warm here (over 100 in the summer). What do I need to do to make it winter ready? Do they need to have all of the sides covered? Insulated? I make sure its rain proof but what level of cold can they withstand?

Thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

For maybe your coldest month, I might cover the upper half only of your wired walls with plastic, tarps, or even cardboard, just so that cold winds won't blow directly on your birds while they're roosting at night. I'm envious of your winter conditions!!! [​IMG]

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am in Florida (northern part) and I just cover all but the front side with plastic. You don't want them too tight. We have a night or two that dips into the teens and some freezing nights but they did well last winter. This winter I have shamo and serama so I may have to provide something more for them but they are separate from the regular chickens.
    sharon

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:X2

5. sfischer

sfischer Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by