Cold Weather and Chicks

Blue Sky Blue

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2016
Missouri
It is 26 degrees here just south of Kansas City, MO, and we just had an ice storm. I ordered baby chicks and believe it or not they arrived today. Question, is it too cold to place these under my brood hens? Will she keep them warm enough and can I put all of the brood chickens with the newly attached chicks in the same coop? Thank You John

Welcome to BYC....the broody hen may not accept them. Are you sure she's broody? My broody tried to kill introduced chicks and I had to raise them myself. If she does accept them, I think she is capable of keeping them warm. It will warm up after tomorrow.....

I would try to get some feed and water into them, and then see if she'll accept them. What was the hatch date? As Sue says, it's a risk. She may accept or she may reject. How many chicks, how long has she been broody? Setting on nest 24/7 for at least 3 days? Many folks suggest that a broody should be broody for at least 2 weeks in order to successfully foster chicks to her. It all depends on the hen. Do you have her in a safe spot where the rest of the flock can't get to her right now? I'd not try fostering chicks unless this was the case.

The brood chickens have been on nest for 3 weeks, they are all in one coop. Question - will each chicken and their chicks get along or should i separate them to different coops.

I don't know what to tell you....It is possible they could get along, but have you even tried introducing the chicks? I defer to whatever @lazy gardener advises....
Please update us, good luck!

Many times but not this many, each brooder will receive 10 chicks and not all in the same coop
I really prefer having the broody isolated in a small area when I hand her chicks. Too many things can go wrong with other setups, and I am usually not willing to risk the chicks.

I have had a few broodies that will stay on a nest even when moved.

I would pick your best broody, put her in a small predator free and wind free spot with chick safe feed and water, and hand her chicks. Then watch.

I have twice had broodies brood 25 or so chicks and done well.... but both were pretty fat fluffy girls that were able to cover them all with some work on their part.

You do always have to watch though.... I have had a couple of broodies who are great on the eggs... and then happily kill every chick they see. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom