cold weather and egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jlj1212, Nov 12, 2013.

1. jlj1212

jlj1212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Hi everyone this is our first winter owning hens. Now that the days are shorter and our girls are givkng us less eggs. Its also been pretty cold here in se Michigan.
    What do you all do for continued high levels of egg production in winter? A heat lamp? Artifical light?
    Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreicated!
    Jenny

2. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    Whether or not to add light is a debatable topic and you will likely hear opinions from both sides of the fence. Some give no added light and feel that this "down time" is a natural process and much needed break from egg production. Some continue to have good egg production, even without the addition of light. I have found though that if you don't supplement light, you will get very few eggs through the winter.

I personally like to give my chickens 15-16 hours of light to maintain egg production. I'm from NE Minnesota where it gets very cold, but I do not use a heat lamp. I use a 100 watt energy saver bulb because it's cheap to run but still provides a nice (not dim) light source. Make sure your chickens are able to roost off of the floor too. They will huddle together and keep eachother warm :). Also consider giving your flock some corn at night (cracked corn). As it digests over night, it produces more energy than your usual feed and converts into fats. Chickens do need added fat (in moderation, of course) in the winter to keep them warm- and this added winter fat been known to lead to better production the following year!

Also, make sure they have a constant water supply. Going without will lend to poor egg production.

Good luck and stay warm!

1 person likes this.
  3. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by