Cold weather and guineas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ewbs79, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Ewbs79

Ewbs79 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Ok I bought 15 guineas the other day and we are experiencing some severe cold weather. I have lost 3 over tge last two days.....they look healthy trying to decide if it's just the temperature killing my birds.....their not freaking cheap...any help would be appreciated

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Can you drive or lure them into a large sheltered area in a barn and shut them in? That's what I did with mine in Iowa when it was stormy in the winter. I left them in till it got better outside. They just do not have enough sense to stay inside when it is bad out.

Use the fact that they would rather walk than fly and fences to drive them inside somewhere.

3. Ewbs79

Ewbs79 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Thats just it their in a building but not sealed up well at all so I was wondering if that was possibly tge problem.....I've never had guineas over winter

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    You gotta seal it up somehow no wind or breeze blowing on them and no breeze from above them. Tarps are bad....they flap around make noises and are scary to them. Take old bales and stack them around the base of building if wind is going under it. Give them very warm water before dusk. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by